Pls suggest me a good laptop for recording (under $1000)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Papersen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve always used desktops, but since my baby girl is growing fast, her toys and my toys won`t share the same space much longer. What`s my wife suggestion: buy a laptop.

I`m used to record only 1 or 2 tracks at a time, so my requirements are not so high I guess. I generally record my basses thru an external sound card and wanna keep it that way, so I guess a good USB / Firewire connection is a must.

I`ve also heard that Windows Vista is not better XP in many aspects and I also wonder if it has any benefit at all.

What brand / requirements would you suggest ?

Thanks

2. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    if it's very simple
    -macbook (this would probably be your best bet)
    more complicated
    -macbook pro

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep seems mac would be a good approach if you want to keep it simple and something to think about for your application. Just get it and forget it (and keep it away from the kid). From what I've digested, if you're going to get much into recording at all it won't stay simple long whether you've got a mac or not.

If you're not thinking Mac.

I've always been mobile and never owned or had desire for anything but a laptop. In fact I've literally found desk tops to be repulsive. I'm now looking into my first recording computer and it will definitely not be a laptop cause I want something upgradeable I can work on and the best bang for the buck.

This Toshiba is hands down the best laptop I've had and apparently about all they make. I would look on CNET for reviews. Buying new I would also buy both from a local chain (drop it off not mail it off - whether you move or not) and an extended warranty for one as it paid for both itself and the Sony I bought (which crashed for a second time a month after the warranty expired). Replacement cost of the screens alone is usually about the price of the computer. Even covers the batteries which are not cheap. The Toshiba has been flawless for over 3 years of internet abuse so the warranty there was a waste (but I've slept well and networked without fear). I would not buy a model out for less than six months cause there's no feedback on them. If I bought a used laptop (which I've never done) I would be REAL selective and REAL cheap.

4. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    just in case you're wondering (if you don't know about macs). it's not that they're better for simple recording, they are simply all around better for recording. i've worked at a professional recording studio that will use nothing but a mac (and of course have had no problems with them). but with a stock mac (for simple recording) you could use garageband. for the much more complicated recording i've found logic studio & pro tools pretty useful. all & all though the good audio programs include (garageband, pro tools, logic studio, reason, ableton live, FL studio, audio hijack, and audacity all to be helpful in their own ways (logic studio being my favorite). (hope i helped)

5. I've had good luck with Dell laptops.... My wife has a Compaq that isn't bad.

Macs are real nice, but I switched to the Windows world for good just after OSX hit the market (I use to work for Apple in the 90s).

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I was about to ask the benefits of a Mac over a std laptop :)
    Thanks for the advice.

7. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    maybe that was the case a few years ago, but now, macs are no better for recording that PCs

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it!

8. If you do some research, there isn't any benefit of going mac. They use the same components (Cpu, Ram Etc.) as the window based machines. It all depends on what software (Protools, Cubase etc.) you are used to using and what operating system they recommend. If you have a firewire/usb external soundcard make sure it is compatible. I know the die-hard Mac guys will say that mac's are faster, but their full of sh-t. You can spec out a similar windows based machine and probably save 20 percent. If you are recording only 2-4 tracks at a time, just about any name brand will handle it anyway. I would recommend 2 gigs of ram and to get a quality external hard drive. It's a good idea to check on the software forum of choice to see what systems they suggest. Nuendo,Cubase, Sonar all have their own forums. There are high end windows based laptops made for audio. Dell is ok, but they tend to make you purchase unnecessary stuff.Check out http://www.adkproaudio.com/

9. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    +1 for ADK. I have one of their 1Q SR laptops and it rocks. I had to send back a similarly spec'd Dell laptop before I got it because of junk FW ports (Ricoh chip). I compared the price to a Mac and the ADK came out cheaper for the same specs. Plus I prefer PC anyway.

Just wish I had more time to make music with it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021