Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plucking fasterr

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lock12bassist, May 9, 2003.

1. how can you devolp you finger plucking speed?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Turn up the amp, lighten your right hand touch, and fire up the metronome.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    How fast can you alternate your fingers in mid air away from your bass? That's as fast as you should be able to play(if not faster)

Just sit down, start slow, and work create a platform where you are not thinking about it, and your muscles are just doing there thing(much like when you alternate them in midair)

that's how I think and...I can play pretty fast.

4. relax.

5. Relax and practice. I myself started playing with my fingers and then started using a pick. Now I'm trying fingers again (good to know both) and It is very hard to keep up with the speed for a whole song (while playing things like master of puppets). But I practice it over and over again and I get better everytime.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IME, you need to practice plucking in rhythm more than anything. You don't really develope speed unless you are in rhythm.

7. The best way to work up speed is to start slowly using a metronome. Play the excersize, scale or whatever it is over and over till you get it perfect, and then move up the metronme just a couple notches. Keep doinf this until you reach the fastest speed you can play. I garuntee that if you tried playing as fast as you could at the begging, it would not be as fast as if you worked up the speed.

Also, although it's good to be able to play fast in any right hand position, play back by the bridge. The strings are a lot more taut, so it's easier to play faster, (more resistance).

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Don't worry about speed as much as your endurance & accuracy... ;)

9. Maybe you should consider using a third finger if you really wanna rip. But if your just sticking to the two fingers, It takes time and practice to develop the chops you need to play fast. You could get one of those Hand exercise things, But im not sure if that increases your plucking speed. Peace

10. Yeah, if you need speed as in death metal (or any fast metal) you probably need more than 2 fingers. Or go with a pick. I can play fast death metal songs with pick but not with my fingers yet. But I'm working on it.