Plucking Finger??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vysous, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    I have a dilema....
    I play slap quite lot and I feel comfortable with my plucking-middle finger. A lot of bass players look pretty surprised if they see it...
    In most of slap schools there is index finger used...
    And I a have question, What finger do U use for plucking??
    Is here anybody who doesnt use index finger (i mean primary plucking finger)---

Thank You Vysous, VERY amateur bassist....
  2. I usually alternate between all my fingers, although my pinky gets the least use.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I use my middle finger for popping the G string (I play a 5-string with a low B) and my index for the D. When I (rarely) pop the A string, also use my index.
  4. I use every finger, although my pinky doesn't get used a lot. I even use my thumb to pop my lowest string occasionally. very 'mean' sounding.
  5. Exactly same here. Vysous, just do whatever's most comfortable. Don't care if other bassists give you strange looks.
  6. i alternate if my indew gets sore, but usually only index. do wats comfy and defy the laws and boundaries :bassist:

Peace love and funk
    Chips :bassist:
  7. fish420

Apr 4, 2005
    I play alot of slapbass and i've written alot of really good rifts. And I usually use my thumb for slapping the E and A strings, and pluck with my index finger and middle finger on D and G. It works really well as ive been playing around with various scales and octaves. I play on a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. Peace.
  8. I used to use my middle a lot too, but I gradually started using my index more. My middle still gets used alot, especially with fast popping riffs. One time I had bad blisters on both of those fingers, so I used my ring finger exclusively for about a week until the other two healed.