Plucking Forearm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by manofmystery, Sep 25, 2004.

1. manofmystery

Sep 25, 2004

I started playing bass about a year ago, and I just noticed that if I drive for a while (maybe 5-7 minutes), my right forearm gets unbelievably tired. It just starts cramping and everything. Is this normal? Any tips?
  2. I'm having the same problem.
    I guess you just have to switch up between fingers and pick songs
  3. i had that problem when i started, the more you do it, the longer youll be able to do it for
  4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    yeah it's a whole endurance thing, my hand used to hurt after playing for several minutes, but after a while it just went away.

BTW, it might be the way your positioning your arm?
  5. It goes without saying that you need to stretch and loosen up your forearms. Its possible that you're playing with a stiff or tense arm as well. Have a look and see how relaxed your forearm and wrist is. If you think that its as relaxed as its going to be, make sure you stretch it out before and after playing. It would also be advised that you get some light weights and do some forearm curls to strengthen them.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Same thing with me. I developed tendonitis in my right arm and had to learn to drive with my left.
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Yes, the key to speed and endurance is relaxation. Don't force your muscles to play fast. Let them do it naturally and eventually they'll get faster and faster. I once was at a point when i jsut could increase my left hand or right hand speed and my hands would get tired after long gigs, but somone told me to relax your arms and hands. Eventually, I did become faster and it was all because I did it naturally.
    I hate to tell you new players that you cannot force your body to learn and do things at a quicker pace. And for some of you, it will take twice as long to learn something than it does for others.