plucking hand question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thebug, May 21, 2002.

1. I know this has been asked before (I have used the search function) but I just would like some clear answers about this thing. I've been hearing/reading a lot about RSI and those kinda things lately and I know of a guy that couldn't play for almost half a year because of it. Now I'm wondering what the correct position is for your plucking hand. I used to rest my arm on the body, but my wrist was bend in a rather strange way witch didn't look healthy too me. So now I'm wondering what to do. I've tried lowering my bass, but I really like to have it quite high (on my chest). How do you hold your wrist/arm and what degree of bend of the wrist is still acceptable and healthy?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    45° or less is ok.

What seems to be more important IME is whether you rest your arm or not.
    Resting (especially when you don't rest it lightly) may put pressure on your muscles and tendons, thus causing unnecessary strain, which can result into problems.

When you don't rest your arm, your wrist becomes straighter automatically, too.
  3. I'm just starting out on the fretless. I've discovered that my R/H (plucking) is tending to adopt a different attitude wrt the strings. This is, I think, because my finger ends sort-of bump into the pups on the new bass. So I'm tending to carry my hand a little higher. Anchoring my thumb on a string, it's like pushing my wrist more towards the floor so that the fingers tend more towards 90 degrees to the strings. Previously, my R/H action was flatter with the arm resting on the bass. Now, the arm tends to come off the bass which, in some ways, looses some stability control over the instrument as a whole.

It's all quite new to me so I can't say exactly how it'll develop, either on my fretless or the fretted. I can say, however, that plucking tends to be more uniform in strength of striking the string, and seems to be faster. Also, the different length of the fingers seems less of a problem than when I plucked flatter.