Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plucking meathod`

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaveDrummer, Apr 15, 2003.

1. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    I am new at bass, and I usually rest my thumb on the pickup for the E string, and E for A, etc (thumb above the string your plucking) is this correct?

Dave

2. If you rest your thumb on the string above the lowest string you're plucking.. everything's fine..

3. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    I mean like moving above the string every time..for example if I was playing the D string my thumb would be on A. If I was playing the G string my thumb would be on D. One string above

Dave

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    There is no problem on doing that. I do that often. But then again, I'm "The Sucky Bass Player" :D. No I don't think there is a problem in that. Just make sure to mute the strings above the highest string.. Like if you are playing the G string (no pun) and have your thumb on the D, make sure to mute the A and E string with your palm.

This thread should also be in the Technique forum

D

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    oh.. BTW, its "method" :D

D

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...oh...

...I thought he was referring to "plucking meat hood" or something!

:eek:

:p

;)

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Not that my way is any more correct, but I usually rest my thumb on top of my pickup for my lowest string and then on the low string for everything else. This works great for me since I never really have to move because I don't use my B a lot.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...