1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plucking near the bridge ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I went out to a swank jazz club / martini lounge last night and heard a pretty cool local band. The bass player was playing a 20th aniversary Stingray through a homemade combo amp. The amp was a Peavy 1X12 cab with a Trace Elliot head that was taken out of one of the 1X10 Trace combos. He was getting a huge, warm, fat sound!!!

I asked him during a set break what his EQ was set to and he told me his onboard 3-band EQ was maxed on all 3 knobs and his graphic EQ looked kinda' like a wide "W".

What puzzled me even more is that he was plucking the strings way down by the bridge, between the pup and bridge, and still getting a big warm tone.. :confused:

I guess my question is, how many of you with active basses crank up your onboard EQ like that?

I really envied this guy's right hand technique because he had a very light touch and played so far back by the bridge, it seemed effortless.

Now I have to go home at lunch and mess with my active Jazz Bass... :D

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    My uncle plays a sterling in a jazz trio and has his onboard eq the same-all on full, though I'm not sure where the pickup switch is at. He uses a old beat Peavey 12" combo amp with the settings somewhat similar to that w you mentioned. I play my passive jazz through a Peavey basic112 and I'm still suprised at the huge tone I get out, of course I have the lows on full and the low mids at noon.

I can't wait until my right hand gets that smooth "second-nature" technique you're talking about. Isn't it the greatest to watch!?!?

3. I don't have an active, but I do crank my amp's built in EQ like that -- somebody needs a preamp.