Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plucking question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mean Mr Mustard, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Hi, I have only been playing bass for about 3 months, I usually only play with a pick but just recently I wanted to play and I dont have a pick. Soo I decide to play finger style I anchored my thumb on the pickup when I played E and anchored it on E when I played anything else, anyway my question is as follows: How hard am I suppose to pluck? They way I was playing just a minute ago was my finger was just pushing the string up lightly and it sounded alright to me but I was wondering am I doing it wrong? The word pluck to me implies you kind of pull up on the string. Does anyone have any videos of some good fingerstyle players?

BTW I really dig it, Its soooo much easier to change what string I am playing on then with the pick in my opinion.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Pulling up on the string is what's reffered to commonly as "popping", used mostly in slap style.

As far as what fingerstyle should look like, watch some videos of people who play fingerstyle, and get some instructional videos.

3. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Do you know what Bass players are really god at finger style?

Btw do punk players mainly use a pick because it is more how do you say poppy? (not like the music hope you know what I mean)

edit : I ment good but god works lol!

4. Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, these are some of the few great fingerstyle bassists.

5. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks will have to mute Geddy Lee video, Cant stand Rush vocals lol.

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Don't mute the Geddy Lee stuff. Just don't listen for the vocals. Once you get past his voice, you get to his bass chops. And that man has some chops. Also neil peart aint half bad at the drums. And the guitarist (forgive me i forgot his name) is quite good at guitar. Overall a great band with a terrible vocal guy, happens alot, but I'll still listen to them. Listen to like YYZ or something like that.

Billy sheehan... wow that guy is really good. He plays a really weird technique that will take you a while to master. He plays with 3 fingers instead of 2. It's great for the really quick stuff, but other than that I've put it off as just basically novelty stuff that I'd never apply in my band/my wants. If i want to play really fast worst come to worst I can do some hammer ons or just sorta tap it out.

Jaco Pastorious (sp) is also a great fingerstyle player. He plays a fretless so it'll sound weird, but he's very very good.

One more guy to check out for some cool fingerstyle stuff is Steffan Lessard, he's got some really cool rhythms that he does with carter, good stuff imo.