1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plucking the bass on the neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ijuost, Nov 27, 2020.

1. ijuost

ijuost

Nov 27, 2020
    I always play on the neck. Always. no matter what style im playing. It is where i find the most comfort and the tone i want. However except from Al cisneros and geezer butler i don't know any other bassist who plays like this. Do any of you guys play like this? Do you know other bass players who use this position? Is it "okay" to play like this?

Nick von Nick and lucas303 like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If it gets you the sound you want, it's ok. Laura Lee of Khruangbin also does this a lot.

3. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I play within an inch of the fingerboard, and on it.

when I’m famous peeple can copy my style.

4. ijuost

ijuost

Nov 27, 2020
    That's exactly it hahahah

Danny E and staurosjohn like this.
  5. Lagado

Lagado Inactive Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    It's up to you, but you are missing out on a range of different tones and dynamics along the string. If you want the ramp effect, play over the pickup instead of the neck. Set the pickup height for it.

6. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Many reggae bass players like to play up
    There when they’re ‘rubbin’ it. Gets a huge soft bassy tone.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

welcome to talkbass! ;)

all the time (but not exclusively). i really don't know anyone who doesn't/wouldn't do that.

you'd probably be helping yourself out by discovering/practicing all kinds of playing positions = versatility! good luck with your playing! :thumbsup:

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You play on the area of the neck required to get the tone you want. When I play bass, I play anywhere from right over the bridge pickup to over the neck, although I favor near the bridge. When I played traditional country, I played near or over the neck a lot.

9. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    @ijuost, this is a closely related topic: I recently discovered that I like a pickup closer to the neck than P or J. It catches more fundamental and you might like it too.

klyph likes this.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sure! Sometimes the best art comes from deliberately limiting your options. For example Picasso went through a 3-year period where he used only the color blue.

Claymore and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Sure I do that. When I want/need that super pillowy soft tone. Works every time.

TrevorR likes this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yup, the "dub" tone, essentially. Great for all sorts of styles, not just reggae and such.

Element Zero likes this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Check out Laura Lee, middle section of Khruangbin's "August 10":

gmarcus, JoshS, Speterc and 1 other person like this.
  14. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Most of the time I probably pluck in the middle between the bridge and neck, but my hand glides up over the neck pickup and even over the neck heel when the song calls for a warmer tone. I honestly don't think about it anymore though, it's more of a subconscious decision, which is why I said "probably" in my initial statement. When using a pick, I normally stay in the middle or even a bit closer to the bridge as I palm mute a lot then.
    I never play right by the bridge fingerstyle... just don't like the tone there on any bass.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    bholder likes this.
  15. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I do it quite a bit. I'll play on the pickup for fast, driving songs and on the neck for softer, slow songs.

16. I don't like the treble clack you get from playing there

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    This guy played on the neck most of the time. He seemed to do alright by it.

upload_2020-11-28_10-37-32.png

18. On a P bass I pluck directly over the pickup. On a J, I'm directly over the neck pickup.

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have thumbrests on all my basses, They go from the fretboard to the neck pickup. They stop at the neck pickup because I never play any closer to the bridge than that. A good deal of the time, my thumb rests on the side of the neck, with my fingers playing over the last few frets. It works for me, if it works for you too, nothing wrong with that.

johnnynitro and Kipp Harrington like this.
  20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    With me, anywhere between the 7th fret and the bridge is useable territory. Why limit yourself to the norm?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021