1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plucking the Wrong String When I Don't Look

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nycguy, Apr 1, 2006.

1. nycguy

nycguy

Mar 31, 2006
    I posted a question earlier today and didn't get any responses and believe it was due to my message lacking clarity. Sorry about that. I was very tired from lack of sleep so now that I am rested I will try again.

As a beginner I know I'm suppose to look at the fretboard to make sure I am using proper technique and placement of my left hand but I find myself also looking to the right so I can be sure I am plucking the correct string. Is there any way of overcoming this habit? My neck is starting to hurt from repeatly moving my head from left to right. I am trying to practice finger exercises on the fretboard but without looking at the strings I find myself plucking the wrong one. This means my focus is divided between looking at the fretboard and the pickup area. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    You practice infront of a mirror whicihc wuold allow you to see both hands at the same time. You could also divide your practicie time between left and right hand technique. Concentrating only on the one hand at a time.

3. I don't remember having such a problem with my right hand but with some practise you 'll make it. Try playing open strings while looking at the right hand fur a while; hit one 3-4 times and then the other one etc. If you are too bored of doing that you can try using a metronome and practise your rythm too :)