Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plug a CAT5 into your axe!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 72beetle, Jan 27, 2003.

1. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Check this out, Gibson guitars is releasing instruments that connect to your network using ethernet and CAT5 cable instead of analog to your amp:

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030124S0035

What's more, they suggest that within 10 years, this will be the defacto standard for amplified instruments.

Even being the intense computer geek that I am, I have no use for this technology, and apparantly neither do most musicians... yet this is still touted as the wave of the future.

Whaddya think?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i think that is just evidence that gibson does not know what to do with all of it's money. That's about the most idiotic invention I have EVER heard. I would rather use my bulky 1/4" cable and my amp because it sounds real. Not like all this digital crap.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, this might work if you play a Gibson/Epiphone/Tobias bass into a Trace Elliot [sic] amp, but anything else is out of the loop, or what?

Interesting enough, but coming from Gibson this'll be a lead duck.

4. Actually, the concept will work, should greatly reduce signal-to-noise problems and could eliminate pickup hum completely if implemented correctly. The reason process control systems are now exclusively digital is the reduction in SNR.

IMHO one of the keys for acceptance by experienced players (i.e. old farts like me) will be to make sure that the pickups are still analog, and that the A/D conversion is done to allow the highest frequencies to be sampled correctly (i.e. for guitar it should be at least at a sample rate of 40Khz, to allow full reproduction of a 20Khz signal when converted to analog).

Then fibre optic cables could be used, giving completely "noiseless" raw signal feed, but with genuine pickup reproduction. Putting D/A in BEFORE any preamp would ensure the traditionalists' desire for warm analog sound.

This could come about as soon as the onboard A/D units are perfected and mass produced, and as soon as D/A boxes exterior to the amps are also in the lower-cost bracket.

This has just given me a business idea......:D

signed - another geeky engineer....

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    "There's such a fine line between genius and stupid!" -David St.Hubbins

This could work, but I wouldn't invest the life savings in it just yet.

6. Gibson brought this out as GMICS at Winter NAMM 2000, if memory serves.

Anyhow, what kind of connector are they planning to use? RJ45 isn't what I'd call gig-worthy.

7. GMICS - sounds like "gimmicks?";) :D

I don't like the idea of a commercial-grade cable connector, there are all kinds of industrial grade ones available, even with the RJ45 design. (industrial grade rj45 )

As I said in my post, the ideal connection will be fibre optic - the connectors used on oil rigs should be adequate for most gigs, although I don't know about upstate NY, Pete McFerrous, I've heard there are some real dives...;) :D

8. And now you know why they changed the name. It originally stood for Gibson (or General, I don't remember which) Musical Instrument Control System, FWIW.

That is one serious connector, sir.

Hee. Well, even in the worst bar in Binghamton, the wiring is still better than in most places in Europe...

;)

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In your dreams :p :D

10. Why do all those "guitarist killed by singing too close to the mic" stories happen in Germany?

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never heard of a single incident in Germany.
    Which one(s) are you referring to?