1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plug and Play Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeonD, Apr 18, 2009.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Currently I have an SWR Bass 350 and an Acoustic Image Clarus. I'm thinking it's time to add a new amp to the fold. There's nothing wrong with what I have (I really like both of these; I've had the SWR for 17 years and the AI for 5), it's just GAS time. :smug:

Now on both of these, I never touch the EQ. On the SWR, maybe a little Aural Enhancer and depending on the room, a little notch filter on the AI. Between my cabs and basses I have enough EQ options.

This isn't to say that I would never use EQ on an amp. I just don't have a need to. I like being able to plug right in and play. No fiddling.

So what are some other plug and play amps to consider? I'm thinking in the 600 and up watt range for power (unless it's all tube).

One amp that I'm considering is the Mesa M6. What else is out there?

For the record, I'm using the following cabinets: SWR Goliath II Jr., Epifani UL112-S1 and Epifani UL410-S1.

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Well, if you'd like an expenditure which would hold you for the next five years, you could look at a Markbass Classic 300.

It's a near-knob-less 300 watt tube head sporting a computerized tube diagnostic & management scheme + a near-audiophile tone.

It's matching neo 8X10 weighs 90 lbs.

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Since the time i actually purchased a decent bass, i have found every Eden amp i have ever used to be quite plug and play. Enhance at 9 o'clock and i'm good to go.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1 on Eden. It depends on your preferences though.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It might just be me, but all 4 of my amps are plug n play, always have all eq set flat, and normally just bump my mids here and there. I do use some eq on a pedal board, but only at home, on gigs it stays home, so amps are flat and I sound good.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 on Eden. Occasionally I adjust a touch of the 30Hz bass EQ for the room. Enhance off; it basically scoops mids.

7. +1 for Eden also. I set the EQ flat, enhance off.

I like to use the WT-1205 and four D210XST cabs.

8. another +1 to Eden.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty much every amp is plug and play for someone.

10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

That's probably a true statement. But then why do amps have all the "gee wiz" parametric combobulator eq enhancements? Just to help the company sell amps. :smug:

I see a lot of votes for Eden. I decided to try their 405 a couple of years ago. I really liked the head but their were problems with it. I worked with my local music store to try and get it fixed but it never happened.

So I returned it and went with Eden's 1205. This was going to be my be all and end all amp.

This one was even worse.:spit: They replace it with a second but that one also had problems.

That's when I all but swore off on Eden. I think the company had just finished going thru a transition but I didn't feel like I was being treated fairly as a customer.

Not to say I'd never try Eden again (I really liked the 405), but I'd need to be sure the amp was bulletproof.

LeonD

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's why I'm back on the Ampeg, my brotha...

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

And the next step (which I keep seriously consider) is an Avalon U5

Only two big knobs! Very hard to screw up!

LeonD

13. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Hartke LH1000.

Very simple layout, and easy to get a good sound.

14. Voss451

Voss451

Mar 2, 2009
    I own the MarkBass Little Mark II and it's amazing. It might not be what you're looking for but you'd do well to check out the MarkBass line for something that might appeal more to you (ie: the tube models).

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi LeonD.

If you've already found it, why keep hunting?

What kind of music do you play, and what is your band's instrumentation?