Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plug for Fender (as if they needed one)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Apr 17, 2001.

1. I just recently bought a Fender Bassman 60, which has a 12 Eminence and piezo horn, running at 60 watts.

The damn thing is loud!!!:D

I have to set it BELOW level 1 or it hurts my ears when praticing. I went outside yesterday and put it on level 5. I had the windows rattling in the NEIGHBORS house. I don't want to crank it all the way, for fear of causing damage to someone or something.

Anyway, for $370 at GC, it's really inexpensive. Has an effects loop, tuner out and tuner mute, enhance system and a limiter. The tone is magnificent, with lots of detail to the sound.

Rock on
    Eric

2. ralph on:
    whats a fender?
    ralph off:

I played one at Mars on sunday, nice quality to price ratio.
    Have fun with it.

Don't break the windows. :D

3. I am really impressed wðth the new Bassman amps, and never miss an opportunity of sayng so.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Wow, a 60 watt amp that you don't want to crank.

I need to introduce you to my guitar players!

:D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eric, I'll jump on the bandwagon as well.

I bought a Bassman 25 as a bedroom practice amp and to be used at church fellowships, so I don't have to lug around one of my big amps.

I am amazed at how loud this amp is for a 25 watt amp. It is louder than the SWR Workingmans 10 and the Ampeg BA112, and is only 25 watts, vs. the SWRs 80 and the Ampegs 50.

The tone is better than the SWR, and right up there with the Ampegs, although the Ampeg does have the 5 position style switch while the Fender only has a contour button.

Another thing, the Fender handles the low B on my Zon and Pedulla much better than the Ampeg did, and the WM10 couldn't handle anything below the low E without farting out badly.

Since buying the amp, I played it at a church fellowship along with piano, undistorted guitar and a quiet drummer, and the amp held it's own quite nicely. The church seats 200 people, my wife sat 3/4 of the way back from the rostrum and she said that she could hear me fine and that the Zon sounded great throught the little amp.

After 15 or so years of the crappy(IMHO) BXR amps, its nice to see Fender make a decent bass amp again.

I have played the 25, 60, 100 and 300, and all of these amps are truly worthy of the Bassman name.

6. Ralph voice on---

......It says I choo-choo-choose you, and it has a picture of a train......

.....The doctor says my nose won't bleed if I keep my finger out of there.....

Ralph rocks.

Oh yeah, Fender's cool too.

Chris

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I impulsively bought my used BXR 300 as a upgrade from a older practice amp reasoning I couldn't beat the price per watt. After trying out other amps, and suffering from G.A.S,. I was a little disappointed with the tone. I can still be loud if I want to though. I can't afford to resell it though and want to upgrade my sound.

I asked in another thread but has anyone added a sansamp bass driver to their crappy bxr's to beef up the tone? Also I've read adding a 2x10 cabinet helps. Any ideas?

8. I'll agree...ive been backing these up alot lately. I just bought a Bassman 200, and it tears through the drums (He's a loud guy) and both guitars. I really like it. WHat a great tone. Only bummer is you cant add an extension cab.(You absolutely cannot right?) Although if you have another combo, you can put a cable from bassman effects send to the instrument input on the amp and use it as an extension cab. But chances are you only have one good sounding amp. Is there anyway to run just a cab from a bassman? (I was under the impression that the thing hadta have its own amp to hook it to a bassman..) Anyone know why that is? Or if theres a different way to do it so you can run a plain old cab from it?
    Peace
    Graham

9. Unfortunately, no.

The reason is that Fender wanted to produce something that can be used right out of the box. Open the box, plug in, turn on, go...

Now, you can add a number of cabs to the Bassman 400 head, but not the combo. I go along with this. Fender is at its best when it makes gear that just does one thing, but does it properly. If you want an amp that you can run with one, two or three cabs according to the size of the gig (a real need, which lots of bassists have), then Fender is not the way to go.

I heard (though this may be an urban legend) that the original fender tweed amp size was designed so that two guitar amps and a bassman would fit in the trunk of a Chevy. Whether this is true or not doesn't matter. It still illustrates the company's attitude. Simple, uncomplex, practical, reliable, and as far as possible hassle free.