Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plug Holes & Redrill?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lonote, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I just got a new (used) neck for my P-Bass clone. Everything is fine except that I am going to have to plug the existing holes and drill new ones. I know how to plug the holes and how to set the bass up after new holes are drilled and the bass is reassembled. My question concerns the drilling of new holes. I don't have a drill press, just a regular hand held drill. Would it be okay to just go ahead and use my drill or would I be better off taking it to a shop and having the holes drilled there? Has anybody travelled this road?

2. Since you're going to drill new holes in the neck to mate up with the existing holes in the bass body, you probably don't absolutely have to have a drill press for this. The existing holes in the bass body will act as a decent "guide" for the new holes that you intend to drill in the neck. This should leave you with a center point fairly close to dead center on the neck itself.

What you will need is a way to accurately mark the exact centers of the drill holes on the neck. If I were doing this, I would probably get a drill bit that just slips through the holes in the bass body. With the neck clamped in exact position, I'd use this drill bit through the bass body, to just scribe a center point on the neck. In other words, don't use the drill to drill into the neck, just use it to accurately mark the center of the intended screw hole in the neck.
    Once I got the center on the first hole, I would use the proper sized bit for the screws you intend to use, then drill the pilot hole. Figure out just how deep you need to go and put a piece of masking tape around the drill bit at that point. This way you won't drill too deep, and all of your holes will be the same depth. Or if you have access to them, drill collars that install over the bit and tighten down are an even better idea.
    After that first hole was drilled, I'd install the screw into it to keep everything in its proper place.
    Next, I'd pick the diagonal screw hole, and repeat the procedure, installing the screw in that hole before proceeding onto the rest of the screws.

After they were all drilled and tapped, I'd remove the neck, and carefully remove any wood burs or chips that might interfere with the neck sitting fully into the pocket. Then I'd reinstall the neck, and tighten the screws snugly and evenly..

Hope this helps..

Mag...

3. Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

4. I hope it works out well for you. Just remember..check, check, and double-check EVERYTHING before you drill anything.. good luck,

Mag...

5. I'm reasonably handy and I've been setting up my own instruments for years. I'm sure it will work out fine. Thanks again for the instuctions.

6. It was a piece of cake. After I strung it up and let it sit for a day, it didn't even require a truss rod adjustment. I set the intonation and now it's ready to go! Thanks for the tips, Magneto.

7. Great to hear that everything went the way you wanted it to, and that the bass plays nicely. Glad I could be of help.

Mag...