Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plug in baby-for my setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emre03, Apr 14, 2004.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi,
    in two weeks time my band is going to perform at my college's mayfest and our playlist includes "plugin baby" by Muse. I begin using effects shortly and still can't decide how i can manage to play and switch between the three different effected parts of this song. My pedals are: MXR Bass D.I+(has foot-switchable distortion), Dunlop Crybaby 150q wahwah pedal, EHX Bassballs(has un-foot-switchable distortrion), Boss GEB-7 graphic bass equalizer.
    I tried to figure out how i can connect and manage my pedals to get the three parts right but i newly begun using effects and can't tell which effect goes to which part. So, if anybody would tell me which order to put my pedals in, and which pedals i might turn on for which parts i'd be greatfull.I also need to be told which sort of settings i need to set my pedals to.
    thanks...

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Just uses Distortion during the verses and go clean for the rest of it

3. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    which verse are you talking about? anybody else have an opinion?

4. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    For this song I use a heavy distortion, wah, and octaver. Since you don't have an octaver, here's how I'd suggest setting things up:

Bass -> Bassballs/Wah -> MXR... you need to decide whether you prefer the Bassballs or Wah for the funky-sounding verse riff

For the song I'd leave the distortion on the MXR on all the time, saves you having to switch two pedals off at once ;)... if you've seen Chris play this live you'll know he plays up on the neck whilst using an octaver to get a really full sound in the verse parts (where you can hear the wah and distortion effects). What I'd suggest is to drop D your bass and for the heavier parts with this riff play it an octave down, and for the quiet verses play it higher to add some dynamics. Use your MXR distortion and the Wah/Bassballs for this bit. Then just turn the Wah/Bassballs off for the choruses

That make any sense? :)

Steven

5. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    well, a little, but my main question is about the effect switch within the verse; well not completely within the verse, but between intro and verse. the two bass sounds somehow seem different. One has more "bassy" sound into it and one has more distortion. is there anyway i can get my pedals to give me that tonal change?

6. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    yeh i know what you mean, trouble is without an octaver you're gonna find it hard to get a lot of low end, i guess you could use the EQ as a clean boost before the distortion to get a bit more gain, with a little bit of bass boost if need be. that help any?

Steven

7. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    yeah, thanks man. i was going nuts, wondering what causes the tonal change. now that i know it's an octaver i can go on experimenting with my pedals to get a closer sound, like i had to do but couldn't do cause i didn't know what the original effect was because i'm a tone maniac :)
    thanks again, i'll post the final setup i'll use, may be that might help somebody.

8. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    actually the octaver is on from the start, i think the tonal change is in the mix rather than something he does with his pedals... maybe ill go watch the hullaballoo DVD and find out :D

good luck with the song anyway

Steven