Plug in my contrabass !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by W.J., Nov 1, 2000.

1. W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Hi lads,

I'm looking for an amp wich can produce a good sound for slapping and popping , but I also want to plug in my contrabass . Are there some good amps for apps like these ?

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    W.J.,I havent had much luck finding a setup that works for me. After lots of trying to get by with one amp, I gave up and now use a much smaller amp (TKO65) for the doghouse.

I usually play both URB and EBG in a gig situation and the EQ requirements are so different between the two instruments that time between songs is too short to change the settings.

I just put a mike on the PV and let the PA do the heavy work.

I've found the biggest issue with amping the URB to be feedback management. If the big amp is adjusted for good URB tone, it sounds like crap with the EBG and vice versa.

If you find a solution, please share.

There seems to be quite a few bassists on this board that play both instruments. I would love to hear thier views on this problem.

Good question and welcome to T.B.
  3. I went through this problem for years. I would often have to play both basses on a gig and sometimes have less than a minute to switch. Over the last year I have been using Euphonic Audio. The VL208 cab has been a real life saver. The cab has a flat response. For my double bass this is perfect. I can run my DB with almost no eq through my Carvin R600 head. My head also has a footswitchable eq. I set one for the DB and the other for the electric. I don't own a blender or mixer yet so the only problem has been dealing with plugging and unplugging the basses but I am looking into a Raven labs mixer. It has required alot of fiddling to work things out but I am satisfied with the results. The other benefit of this system is that it is extremely compact. It is about the size of an SWR redhead combo and is easier to transport.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm lucky to have a regular gig at which I play both upright and electric bass. I leave an older SWR Goliath, jr. 210 cab there and use either an Eden WT-300 or my rack with Demeter and Alembic preamps and a Stewart power amp.

Any combination of this equipment sounds great with both basses although I prefer using the rig with the Stewart power amp because of the increased headroom. I use an Underwood pickup into a Fishman Model "B" preamp with the upright and have no problems with feedback at reasonable volume (jazz trio).

I used to regularly use a Polytone with my upright but is just does not have the great tone I get with my seperate components.

5. Bass Boy, just get an A/B box for $19 from Carvin. No, it's not buffered, but if you have low-impedance output from both of your basses, it really shouldn't matter...
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'll second the Carvin or other A/B box, and add the suggestion of a box of some sort to modify the tone/volume of one of the instruments. When taking two different instruments on a gig I will use my K&K Power Pack, SansAmp DI, or Bass EQ pedal to adjust the sound and volume of Axe #2 and set the amp for Axe #1, so switching between them is easy and equal in volume.
  7. Direct box with a volume control for the urb and straight in for the bass guitar (small practice amp). On the rack setup the bass guitar goes through a preamp and processor and to a one rack space mixer, the urb goes through the direct box to the same mixer.