Plug TC Spark Booster with 18v?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gabasss, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Well, I am happy with how TC Spark sound to my taste. However I just wondering is it safe to plug 18v into it? Just trying to experiment tho

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it doesn't specifically say so in the manual, which I'm sure you can find on TC's website, I would not do it.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

No. 9v only.

4. I see, then I would just plug it into 9v. Thanks for the response guys!

5. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    Has anyone tried this yet? Asking for a friend...

I hear some active basses clip the Spark at 9v.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

9v only.

Running 18v into a 9v pedal will not give you more headroom, it will just fry the pedal.

TC Pedals accept up to line level without clipping the input, so you will not clip the input.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    This hasn't been an issue for my Spector's Hazlab w/active EMGs, tho I always keep its bass and treble dials at, or just a hair over/under center detent, with volume at 11.

Perhaps if others max boost their tone dials it might be a little too much input? I'll try it this afternoon and report back.

That's all I can think of

rzero likes this.
  8. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    I just got one today. Great pedal. Everything I expected. I couldn't hear any clipping with my 18v Schecter with the active bass control turned all the way up. Even with the bass control neutral, this pedal put out a pretty high amount of gain, especially on the Fat or Mid settings, compared to my passive Jazz.

9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The TC Spark's gain dial definitely gets fuzzy if it's gain dial is anywhere past 9 o' clock (1/4 turn clockwise) when my active/active Spector's bass and treble control are dimed.

10. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    Well, I just realized I had a bad connection on the neck pickup on my passive Jazz. After a little solder, I'm now getting a much hotter signal (raised the pickup a little too). This pedal gets quite dirty with the Jazz now. I've got the gain a little below noon on FAT mode. Sounds great.

tommyeadg likes this.
  11. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    I am realizing the difference in sound on this thing when the level control is cranked. The clipping seems to become somewhat softer, but the sound richer, having more of a cranked amp sound. I'm digging the "clean" setting for the flat response with the gain and level dimed. I guess this will only be an option as an always on pedal, unless you make a volume-adjustment solution elsewhere, and also only if everything downstream can handle the signal. Makes me realize I haven't experimented with the level knob enough on my other overdrive pedals.

I also recently ordered a TCE MojoMojo, to see if I can get a flat/"transparent" overdrive like the Spark's "clean", but with some higher gain sounds. We'll see.

12. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    I can confirm this is exactly what I'm hearing out of the MojoMojo with the voice switch in the up position. As others have noted, the user manual for the pedal is incorrect: flipping the voice switch to the down position gives a bass cut, not a bass boost.