Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plug Your Local Heroes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DanGouge, Feb 14, 2003.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK how 'bout a thread where we can drop the names of bands that may not be well known outside of your area. My pick: Broken Social Scene, a local Toronto band that put out an amazing disc recently. So who's hot in your neck of the woods?

2. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Deaf Union out of Michigan.....www.deafunion.com...demo out and debut album out soon...influences are Tool,AIC, Metallica....excellent band

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hell, in this city, there are too many to name. Some of my faves are El Pus :p , Seek, Blackperl, Whild Peach, Beale Street, Wonderlust (Dammit Dave, put it back together! :), Chiedza, and the Indicators.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Microwaves are one of the main reasons I'm interested in making experimental music right now. They are from Pittsburgh, but I saw them in Edinboro. Crazy stuff. The bassist has some nutty ass effects. Fun times.

Also, any band with an autographed picture of Bob Barker with their band pics is OK by me.

5. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
  6. where is this band from. I never heard of them

7. i meant that as in where do they play around here.....

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I dunno, I saw them in Edinboro, PA. I don't think they play much around Edinboro much. I dunno, check out their website. There recordings don't give any justice to their live performance. They are a fantastic live band. I highly recommend checking them out. The bassist is crazy. He has a headless bass and effects out the ass. And kick ass right hand technique. :bassist:

9. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    In my area of mass a band called Hardline kicks some serious ass.The band is full of people who can really play their instruments and rock hard. Dont have a link its one of those long web addresses but i'll post it in a few days. If you have a chance to see them definetly go, the shows are totally out of control.:D

10. BIG G AND THE FAT PLAYAZ!!!
    four white rappin' kids
    i think their site is www.monkeybutler5.com/phattydee

CAUTION: there is tons and tons of profanity

11. A few Vancouver noteables in no particular order (keep in mind that I'm into jazz, so there are probably some other bassists out there that deserve mention - if I knew their names)...

Laurence Mollerup (known to you as LM BAss)
    Kerry Galloway
    Andre LaChance
    Chris Tarry (pops in here once in a blue moon)
    Al Johnston (he speaka my language - Tumbao!)

and of course....
    SMASH!

[Later edited] I just realized the original post asked for band names and not bassists. Oh well, ignore this post then. ;)

12. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    MACHA!!! , good friday experiment

13. In Edinburgh, Scotland?

It has to be Cowala - "three misfits making music to scare primates by"

http://www.cowala.co.uk

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Me? No... Edinboro, PA. It's a college town, our school has a scottish theme, but as you pointed out, our college theme would suggest that we spell our town name wrong. :meh:

15. www.TokyoSpaceCadets.com

I'm friends with the guitar player and acquianted with the bass player. Great group. They invented the genre of Nerd Metal. They use alot of simple chord progressions, which is usually followed by a TOTALLY SWEET guitar solo. They sing about weird stuff, like, Masters of The Universe, Pop Tarts, riding shotgun, etc.

www.cronusmusic.com

Prog metal. I actually auditioned for them once and the vocalist really like my stuff and wanted me in, but the other guitar player preferred to play alone :confused: They've actually talked to A&R guys with Atlantic Records...rumor has a deal will be signed soon.

www.yunamusic.com

Kind of a tool-ish type metal. VERY talented group. They've talked to both SolarFlare and Roadrunner records...both of which failed to end in a deal.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Bruce Alford is the best electric bassist in Madison WI. Richard Davis (yes THE Richard Davis) is the best upright bassist in Madison

17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Mastodon sticks out at the moment. Nice guys and an awesome stage show.

18. There aren't any good local bands that I know of, although the biggest band is probably "The Gadjits". They released a record or two on Hellcat Records, which I believe is a subsidiary of Epitaph.