Plugging and keyboard and a synth into the same amp..AT THE SAME TIME!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Aug 24, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    :help: :help: :help:

Is it possible? Is there a reverse version of a two way splitter, instead of one signal into two, is there a two into one? Because we want to use a regular keyboard sound for most of our song, and we want to for the chorus, use the vocoder feature on my friends microkorg synth. So can anyone point me in the right direction? :confused:

This will be used for live shows and we dont want to have to play samples on stage.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Gonna float this one over to amps.... this is not a pickup specific question.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well it can be done.

on amps with a blendable effects loop you can plug the keys into the effects return and use the from blend control to match volume of the keys and bass. I've done this in the past with an swr amp.

on some amps with two front inputs if you plug two basses (or a bass and keys) in at the same time both signals will be given equal weight, but it's not an optimal way to do things.

you could also run both the bass and keys into a small mixing board proir to the amps input, but thats going a bit overboard.

honestly, i would look into running the keys into the PA. This is what the whole world does. There's nothing wrong with using a bass amp for keys, but if you have a pa for vocals, you should be able to run the keys thru it.
  4. Can't you MIDI them together so the output of keyboard A keyboards comes out of keyboard B? Or so you can access the sounds of keyboard A from the keys of keyboard B, and the output comes out keyboard B?

That way you only have 1 output to worry about. Otherwise you can get creative with the effects loops in the amp usually.

5. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    This is a 'electronics' question so I put it in there. I do not mean bass and keys into one amp. I mean two separate keyboards into one guitart amp.
  6. It sounds like you're needing something like an A/B/Y box. Allows two connections to one amp, or one connection to two amps. Some even come with blend controls.

As already mentioned, you could also use a small mixer for this.

If the amp itself has two channels you can simply plug into them, but don't try hooking up two instruments just because you see two input jacks on an amp.

Hope this helps..

7. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Midi does not work like that. He would still have 2 seperate signals going to the amp.

There are a couple of options for the OP.

1) A dedicated keyboard amp that has multiple inputs for up to 3 or 4 keyboards (Behringer KX1200, Peavey KB100 for a couple of examples)

2) If the amp you are using only has 1 input, then a small mixer such as the Behringer UB802 would work for you and also allow you to split the signal between the on stage amp and the PA if you wanted. It wuld also give you good control over the output volume of each keybaord.

3) You might be able to get away with using a A/B/Y box like the Morley ABY. It works both as a 1 in 2 out and vice versa and is foot switchable to let you choose either keyboard seperately or both at the same time.

All the keyboard players I have worked with use a small mixer.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ah yeah sorry i was up late and didnt notice the keys and synth (no bass)

anyhow, i'd still use the PA as a 1st choice. otherwise if you're lucky the bass amp has a side chain blendable effects loop like i described, if not you need a mixer before the amp.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Just grab a small mixer... Under $100 should have that nailed.