1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plugging Hole In Top Question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THSL, Jul 15, 2008.

1. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    So here's the deal. I am converting my bass from active electronics to passive... Inevitably, there will be some extra holes on the top...

My bass is also natural wood (ribbon stripe sapele) with an oil/wax finish on it...

My question is would it be worth it to plug the extra holes? If so, how much should this cost to get fixed, and does anyone know anybody in NYC that can do such work...

or

Should I just leave the extra holes open? My guitar tech has covered the back of the holes with some black tape...

Lemme know what you all think. Thanks.

Tim

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    You won't be able to adequately plug the holes... you will always see a little circle there. I'd recommend just leaving unattached pots (with knobs on them) in the body, to plug the holes

3. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Exactly what I was about to suggest.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Depends on how many empty holes you have. If it's just one or two, I'd add an interesting passive circuit, like a Varitone or a Villex PRTB.

5. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Leave the extra pots in and put some cool labels on them.

6. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    You can never plug the holes in a way that will be invisible without jedi wood skills, but you could enlarge the holes and plug them with a contrasting colored wood to create an interesting design feature.

7. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    You could "hide" the holes by incorporating them in to some inlay pattern.

8. When I pulled the T/V pots out of my old EB copy, I covered the holes with stickers. The others, I just left the disconnected pots.

You ain't gonna want stickers, so stick something in the holes. How about some blinky lights? A couple of flasher LEDs and a AAA battery. . .

9. Or a switch labelled "super funk"

10. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Seriously though, I'd just leave the knobs in if they don't bother you.

even if they don't do anything, it'll look better than having holes in the bass.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021