1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plugging pot holes (and switch holes)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rustynuts, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I've got a Jazz Special that I'm reworking and one of the things I want to do is plug two of the holes drilled for pots/switches. Question is, what's the best thing to plug them with?

Dowel rod would have grain running the wrong way and might be difficult to get smooth on the surface. I'm worried the wood putty might eventually flake out on me, One thing That might work is those little "caps" that they use to cover screws on furniture. Anyone have any idea what those are called?

I want to plug the center two holes on this body and then drill two others in line with the top and bottom holes.

5minutes.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    If you have a router with a template collet you can cut your own template and drop in a perfect plug.

3. I went looking at routers this afternoon as a matter of fact. Haven't bought one yet, though I am thinking about the Porter-Cable 690. Is the template collet something that comes with it or an extra item to purchase?

Also, is the lack of variable speed something I should be concerned about?

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    The variable speed is useful if you are using large bits to do raised panel doors.

I currently have 6 routers in my shop. If you are interested in the PC 690 you should PM me. The 690 is the Fender of routers and it is what I got started with.

5. PM sent.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  7. depends on the finish...

what WILL work and be cheap, if you're planning on an opaque poly finish is to plug and seal...

I'd seal with epoxy or nitro...after you've wet sanded it properly, you'd never ever see it through the paint...

8. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    +1 on the plug cutter idea, the tapered cutters are especially useful when you need to fill in odd sized holes, or if you needed to enlarge a damaged hole before filling it. Another thing you might do is to score some pre-cut tapered plugs like these ones

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Tapered-Plugs-20843.htm

Come to think of it I've got a few of the 12mm size (tapered from 11 -14mm) in beech that you're welcome to if they're any good to you.

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
  10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Argh... I've been looking for a P-bass body similar color to that, and you're stripping the finish off of it.

:: grumble grumble ::

11. Thanks guys! I can probably find what I need with what you've given me. The holes are 5/16" and 1/2" so I just need to decide what's the best option.

I'm still undecided how I want to finish it. At first I was going to spray it a solid color metallic, put it back together and sell it but then I had an idea for a sort of aboriginal design on it. I don't like a P Bass style body with no pickguard....Too much open space on the front so I was going to have the solid body color and then do the aboriginal design roughly in the shape of a P Bass PG.

Then last night while I was looking for dings and dents I need to fill in I had another idea that I like more but is a lot more labor and time intensive: I draw and paint in black & white quite a bit so I'm thinking now that I may go that route. Not sure if I want to go with pointillism or stark contrast though. Here's a couple of doodles from my planner to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

example.

I'd paint the body with a white base coat, cover the back and sides with black and then add the design/female form(s) in black on the top.

12. Believe me, this one wasn't salvageable. Here are the pics of how it looked yesterday:

http://silentcircus.com/refins/Jazz_Refin.htm

I'm going to be captioning the pics eventually. I just wanted to chronicle the rebuild on this one.

13. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Very nice drawings, I thought the pointillist portrait was a photo. With your talent you should be able to come up with a great-looking pickguard. And if you've got any, I'd like to see some Aboriginal type designs too.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Ah, it was burgundy. I thought it was a copper/burnt Orange.

15. Funny thing, it turned that coppery burnt orange after I heated it up. That was a beautiful color and one that I will use one day. The burgundy mist was rather bland even without it being scuffed up and battered.

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't done any aboriginal things in a while, all I've ever really done is decorate envelopes and packages in aboriginal designs before. (My hands can't stay idle for very long it seems.) I think it would make an interesting pickguard theme though.

The drawing on the right up there usually confuses people. It's funny that most of them can't see the girl's face in profile, some not even after I point it out to them.