Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plum pudding figure

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taylor Livingston, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I just bought a few pieces from Gallery Hardwoods (which'll be posted in "My very own bass in progress thread" when they arrive). I had wanted a particular Goncalo Alves top I saw on the site, but when I ordered, Larry said it had been sold to LAG. He told me he was going to cut another set, though, and that it would be more figured.

They have done the shop work on the pieces, and they got sent off yesterday. Larry e-mailed me saying the GA came out with plum pudding figure. What exactly does that look like? Gilmer says it's the rarest of the figures, and had this piece (they didn't say what species) to exhibit it:

[​IMG]

Personally, I don't see what the figure is. I see a little shimmer at the top. What is plum pudding figure, and what should I be looking for in the piece?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I think that pic is the plum pudding mahogany. Doesn't look that spectacular in the photo, to me anyway.

3. This looks identical to the figured mahogany on my ABG, though I hadn't heard this type of figure called "plum pudding" before, or known that it was exceptionally rare. There is a shimmer to it, but the figure is really the sort of "crumpled" look, with the lines going diagonal to and across the grain. It's not really all that dramatic looking though, even in person. That may be different for Goncalo Alves.

Mike

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Thanks. I'm not really a figure-fiend (the original piece of GA I wanted only had a tiny bit of curl), so hopefully, I'll like it anyway. I'm a little wary of buying a top without seeing it, but, oh well. I trust Larry to cut good stuff.