1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plumbing question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twinjet, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Interesting, but slightly concerning question.

I used the toilet today and all went well. Later, I came back and water was only inches from spilling over and onto the floor. I went all Super Mario on that b***h and unclogged the toilet with ease.

My question is: what could have caused this clog to happen, and why did my toilet fill up?

2. Too much TP.

twinjet likes this.
  3. Back pressure.

4. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    SF to the rescuuuuue... :dead:

5. Gimme some more info. Is it a basement or first floor toilet? Is the toilet on the lowest level of the house? Are their other bathrooms on levels of the house above this toilet?
    Ok Here's what I can give you before you answer any of that but the answers may help me pin it down better. The toilet drains into a rather large pipe (at least 3" dia. and possibly 4".) This pipe will hold a fair amount of water. It will have the sink and bathtub drain tied into it before anything else ties into it. If it was only the toilet that was stopped up , it should have shown up as soon as you flushed it. Since it didn't , the stoppage was probably a bit further down the line. If a stoppage is further down the line , the toilet may flush once without showing symptoms due the the volume available in the pipe. If the stoppage is further down the line but still in the local bathroom group , running the sink or the tub will back up into both the toilet and the tub. If the stoppage is even further down the line and after the point where other bathroom groups tie into it , running anything in any of the other bathroom groups that are at the same level in the house or above it will back up into the toilet and probably the bathtub also. If it is a fairly soft stoppage , a vigorous plunging may clear it. If it is a stoppage that is a bit more substantial , you will have to call ME and pay me a lot of money to clear it. Those drain cleaning machines aren't cheap ya know.;)

Tom Bomb likes this.
  6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Sewer suckers would like some more detail. I'm not sewer sucker but if you fill in the gaps - like how many on the same service, how old is the dwelling, is it shared, are you elevated or on a plain - we may be able to more easily get to the bottom of it.

People flush the darndest things down the dunny. To get a better grip on it, you'd probably have to be there. Pardon the pun :smug: It's a blockage somewhere. You may have (de)solved the problem already. Simple maths - rubbish in, rubbish out. These new fangled wet-wipe thingies are causing some problems, apparently. And wet weather can play havoc with the waterworks too.

7. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Should I be worried about coming home to my cats and basses swimming in sewage?

I'm in a five-story apartment. I'm on the fourth. There are at least eight more toilets on this floor.
    I think I'm slightly above sea level. We are on a flat. Not sure how old the buildng is. Honestly, I'm scared I'll come home to basses and cats soaked in sewage.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Tom Bomb likes this.
  8. Only if the main sewer out in the street is stopped up just past where your house ties in. In that case , anyone running water that lives upstream from you can back up into your house. I went into a house several years ago that had about 2 feet of water in its' basement. Rare , but it does happen. It can also happen if you keep flushing or running water on the upper floors and don't look in your basement for a while.

9. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    This scares me because it sounds like I'm powerless with regard to a solution.

10. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Alert the super! Alert the press. Run to the hills!!

You'll be fine, but get onto it.

11. If you are that worried about , PM me and give me a phone number (or I can give you mine.) This stuff can get a bit complicated to work out over the internet.

12. This.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you lived in NY, I'd say probably alligators that sometimes live in the sewage system backing things up, but I don't know where you are.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  14. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Alaska. Probably some grizzly bear.

S-Bigbottom and Joe Nerve like this.
  15. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    First, shark bait knows what he is talking about.
    Second, a lot of worse case scenarios being spouted.
    Third, always look for the simpler thing first.
    You plunged with quick success which probably means you had a mondo load of TP and whatever preceded it in the toilet itself.

I've been in home repair for aeons and this is more often than not.
    Very unlikely a cause for panic.

16. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    When you hear water running / flushing on the fifth floor, consider lowering all your bass equipment out the window, down a rope, to a trusted person below and be prepared to Indiana Jones it down the stairs (don't use the elevator) as the water chases you out of the building. Or if it happens again, call the super.

twinjet likes this.
  17. Exactly!
    I would be more concerned if it wouldn't go down at all, or if it continued to happen.
    Mine clogs more often when I'm using the fluffy toilet paper.

18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I'm the maintenance director for an assisted living place and just bought myself a shiny new toilet auger. Haven't had to use it yet, but am already wondering how to clean the critter......

19. Sh!* happens.

DiabolusInMusic and twinjet like this.
  20. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Car wash?