Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plume or Zia, please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Zia

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Plume

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ok, after being on hold for two different guys at different times, this bass is still unspoken :(

I'm gonna make it a fretless 5 but I need to choose between the Zia and the Plume model.

here's the amboyna butl top:
    [​IMG]
    and the Limba body:
    [​IMG]

Up there is the Plume outline.

The Zia model looks like that:
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

Peace, JP

2. I like the Zia. I think it's very cool. :cool:

Gonna be a nice bass JP!

Bernie

3. I really like the Plume, but heck what do I know.

;) Treena

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I like the Zia but thats probably because its a singlecut. There is something more appealing to them since not alot of builders make singlecuts. And when someone is looking to buy this bass i think the fact that its a singlecut could help sell it. Well, unless they dont like SC's :( .
    -Michael

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Headless Zia or headless Plume, either way. Both great designs.

;)

OK, that's not being very helpful. I'll vote Zia, just so there can be one more of them to see. Plus, SCs are pretty trendy right now.

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I love your SC..so for sure Zia for me!:D

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Just got a phone call from a guy in Belgium who is thinking about buying the bass...

Will have his definitive answer tommorow. If he takes it it'llbe a Plume. Otherwise I'll make that one a Zia probably!!

Peace, JP

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you should make an entirely new model and call it the Alima (my daughter's name).;)

Seriously, I'd vote for a Plume.

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Love the name!

I'll keep that one in mind!

Thanks

Peace, JP

10. I think they'd both look fantastic!!! I can't choose!;) :)

11. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I am really glad I ran across this thread JP. I have an amboyna burl top from Galleryhardwoods that is very very similar to yours. It will be backed with white limba also but I am thinking of putting a thin layer of wenge,walnut or ebony between the two. Some "in progress" pics would be great, and hopefully influence my decision for the neck wood on this bass since I am still undecided.
    I love both body styles, but I vote for plume. Very elegant, sleek, original, and I have a feeling singlecuts will soon overcrowd the bass population :)http://www.boydbasses.com

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I use a wenge veener between the top and the body.
    Wenge neck. Fingerboard was to be stabilized ebony but....hmmm

This bass will became a very special project and I may have to go for something wilder than plain ebony ;)

Peace, JP

PS: Bass is not going to belgium fnally. My friend Fred just told ba someone eles had put the bass on hold this morning and this is what lead us to the "special" and exciting project :D

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    zia zia zia zia zia zia zia zia zia zia zia zia

14. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    This amboyna top wood was a Christmas gift from my family (man, do gifts get any better than that???) So it is special to me and I will keep this bass for myself. I have been thinking about a mac ebony fingerboard with maple and wenge neck lams.
    Can't wait to see your final product JP.http://www.boydbasses.com

15. I just see this top on a Zia hollowbody with fretless macassar fingerboard....:cool: and black hardware.;) ebony knobs...Killer!!!!!!

I have to make money JP!!!:bawl: :D

larry:bassist:

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Wow...

Looks like the Zia shape is getting some votes!!

I'll try to post a picture of the top with the Zia shape on it tomorrow.

Peace, JP

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted for the Zia shape. I really dig your SCs JP. They're a good chunk of the reason why i want to try and build one myself [of my own design]. :D Ok-well that mixed with not wanting to pay over $1200 for a fretless Ray5 esque bass and the want to see how it would turn out. I look forward to seeing the bass develope on your site and here. That's all

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I think you should make it a Zia and send it to me!! forget that other guy!:)

19. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    hehe!!

too late man. Sorry. May I buid another one for ya?

This one is gonna be a 10 strings octave bass!!!
    :eek:
    Yummy !!
    :bassist:

Peace, JP