Plus sized cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 12, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I wanna know what your guys's thought are for bigger than normal sized cabs.

I'm talking 6x10's, 2x15's, 8x10's and 4x12's.

I know alot of guys are going for the more portable, light weight rig set up which is fine, and it is what I'm trying to go for, but I'm just curious.

I did some searches and found that the berg 6x10 is about the fav here on the TB forum along with all the other cabs from the nv line (425 and 215)

I also read that the genz benz is one mean monster, and wouldn't mind trying it out, but none of the stores around here carry anything bigger than a 410, I did see a peavey 810 tvx at one of my local stores, but thats about it.

Read that the ampeg is either here or there.
    Also read that the swr 8x8 and 6x10 are fairly good favored, but I have heard some crappy customer service stories since fender baught em. :crying: :spit:

I don't really have a set price, I mean I'm saving up for my rig, and if that means saving up close to 1k for a cab, then heh by garsh I'm ganna do it. Same with my head, I have so much GAS it isn't even funny, so i'm going totally biased on what my gas is, because frankly, it changes about everyday, maybe some of you guys can relate to that?

Anywho I'm just looking for peoples opinions.

I just talked to my mom, and I might be getting a small pickup, chevy s10 or ford ranger, but dunno yet, if not, then I will be getting hopefully a 4 door ford taurus (spelled it wrong I think) Dunno if that would be big enough to haul a 610 or 215 in, I can always measure it to see if it'll fit.
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Berg, Eden, SWR, Aguilar etc etc all make nice bigger cabs IMO. What exactly are you after though?
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I was after the small portable rig (115 and a 112 or something like that)

But I'm just looking to see what people have to say about the bigger cabs. I really like the swr goliath sr and the genz benz 610. The swr is a bit smaller so thats a + as well.

I wouldn't mind getting either of the NV series from bergantino, everything I hear about them is all good. I'd probably go with the nv610 first then the 425, and 3rd the 215.

Ampeg is 50/50 I'd have to play it to find out, and I don't see that happening at all cause out of my entire 4 years of bass playing I have yet to see an ampeg 6x10 or 8x10 in any store around here.'

I also like schroeder alot, just about any cab from Jorg I get would do me lots of good, and they're the only cabs that I like and never not like the next day.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    bump anyone else have some input??

Also does anyone know how much the schroeder 310212 weighs?

5. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    GK Neo412
    'Nuff said...

6. i was just going to suggest the 310212 to you. i don't know how much it weighs, but with all the great things that have been said about schroeder cabs, it has to be great.
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    That's one of the smallest 4x12 cabs other than the swr 412 stack, but the swr is about the same dimensions as a 410 or so.

Wouldn't mind playing it though, The aguliar 412 is another good contender a little bigger though being 45'' tall.

Ya that would be an awesome rig, but I wonder if 1400 watts bridged would be enough it is 2000+ watts isn't it?

it's also only 32'' tall which is really cool.
  8. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I do appreciate those who go for the smaller, "portable" set-ups; after all, the older we get the more delicate our backs become... I know from personal experience! However, I have always been a lover of 15" bass drivers, and I gotta have two of 'em. I have an NV215. It weighs about 90 lbs., but it's compact and easily portable. I seem to always get someone, usually one of my bandmates, to help me load/unload it into/out of my van.

I also have an Eden D410XLT, which I will sometimes use at smaller venues. It, too, weighs-in at around 90 lbs. When using this cab alone, I'll drive it with my Ashdown ABM500RC Evo-II.

Then there's the BEAST... my Marshall VBA400. This thing is a hefty 78 pounds. I'll use it with the NV215 most of the time, but once in awhile, I get to pair it up with the D410XLT. :eek: I've said this before: I need a poet to properly scribe the sound of this set-up...

I guess I'm fortunate in that I never seem to have a problem getting some help loading or unloading... :)
  9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've had two big Mesa cabs:
    2x15 Diesel, 125lbs
    6x10 Diesel, 155lbs

Both incredible cabs, but alas, carrying it off/on stage by yourself when stairs are involved, plus to 2nd and sometimes 3rd stories isn't gonna happen w/out help, which isn't always there.

As soon as I get roadies, a Mesa 8x10 and 2x15 setup are in line! :cool:
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I love my old Fender/EV loaded 2x15 and my older Ampeg 8x10. Nothing moves air like a ton of speakers. If I'm not dwarfing everyone but the drummer's setup, I'm not happy. Even if I have to turn down for a smaller club, I've still got loads of bass response. I've never had a problem loading, the more you do it, especially for the teenagers reading this, the more the muscles build up. Helping my singer haul his three-truckload sized PA is much, much more annoying.

I'm sure there are plenty of older cats that'll tell me they used to be that way, though, and have seen the light after their second back surgery ;)
  11. Old yamaha 610s are really really light but made well.
  12. The Schroeders are pretty efficient cabs. I would imagine that even with 400 watts, it would be pretty damn loud. But I would contact Jorg and ask him the recommended wattage for that cab.
  13. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd love to have a mesa 610 I don't doubt that it would kill just about any guitarist. But mesa dosn't sell any of their stuff online, so I'd have to either order it from mesa which I don't know if I can do, or find a music store that sells em.

Thats one of the reasons I was looking into the smaller more portable cabs I don't wanna pay for it when my back goes out. But I do work out every other day, a nice routine with a buddy of mine, we do work our backs but I assume after 20 years of lifting a 100+ cab in and out of a car and up and down stairs it'll ware out, but who knows.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!

14. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Never knew yamaha had a 610, but I did play a huge 115 combo that was a yamaha for band for 3 years this thing was huge I MEAN HUGE maybe 45'' tall or so it came up to a little bit above my waist when I stood in front of it and I'm 6'3, it weighs a good 100 pounds or so too. I remember picking that thing up and hauling it up the stairs to my band room, phew aint as easy as it looks, it did have rubber handels on the side though, as well as casters, really loud too.

Already did, just waiting for him to reply back.

15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, if you want a smaller rig, why not get a smaller one? Like, a 212. Or two 12's? Or a 212 +15/210 etc etc?

My Schroeder 410 is fairly small. Not light though, but I don't mind that. I can lift it up stairs etc by myself allright, and i'll get some casters for flat stuff. This things pretty much loud enough to do any of the gigs i'd be doing i'd say. I may add a 1212 for ****s n giggles, and for band practices.
  16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If you've searched, you already know this, but I LOVE my Berg 610.
  17. To my ears, Bigger cabinets sound....BIGGER!
    But then I have yet to hear a Schroeder. Small cabs have their place, but when you are playing with a loud drummer and Mesa Boogies and Fender Twins, a 2x10 just never cut it for me.

But don't just focus on the cab. Power is what you need to really feel the notes above the fray. You gotta push the watts! Some smaller cabs come to life if given enough watts, and the bigger cabs just slaughter at that level.

I have gigged through and owned: Ampeg SVT 810., SWR Goliath Senior (610), Sunn 215B SPL, Aggie GS412, and finally my latest rig that wins hands down in the sound-to-power-to-weight-to-portability category, the Berg NV610!

I have owned some 410's, 210's, 212's, and 1x15's in the past, all high-end stuff. I like 410's for rehearsal and medium-sized gigs, but when I am playing outside with no PA support, give me my NV610! BTW I almost always play with no PA support.

If you have PA support OTOH, you may not need the bigger cabs, just keep your stage volume reasonable so that you and your band mates can hear each other.
  18. Big cabinets suck on several fronts:

1) Size and Weight
    I moved two of my 1x15 subs (150 pounds each) 2x weekly to gigs for a steady 3.5 years. This is one case where a guy REALLY gets sick of the in-and-out.

2) FOH nightmares
    A huge backline is a huge problem at venues with full PA support. I do PA support for the local kiddie bands here, and all of them refuse to turn down those huge Ampegs. Because of this, I do not bother to mic them at all, and they suck harshly at the audience position. This is their choice, because they refuse to use PA support.

3) Losing friends
    When it comes time to move those big cabs up stairs, or into the garage at 3am, your friends disappear.

That said, there are times when a huge backline is appropriate, such as outdoors with no bass PA support. I'd rather move four 1x12 rather than one 4x12.

I'm doing more PA support these days, and that requires better subs. I'm in the process now of building (4) Tuba 30. They are sized slightly narrow (28") so they will fit two-wide in a standard 5x8 cargo hauler. They weigh 135 ~ 150 pounds each, by calculation. Roadies are recommended.
  19. I'm sorry, were we talking about PA subs or bass amps?
  20. pretty outragiously heavy 1x15's either way really :confused: