Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLUSH cabinets/heads, vintage 70s blue sparkle model...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miko, Oct 10, 2003.

1. wewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. my first foray into the gear section. water's warm!

anyhow, our singer picked up this very cool-looking bass cabinet and head at a tag sale, and we don't quite know what to make of it. we do believe it was quite the rage back in the day (70s). i just think it's ultra-cool looking.

the brand is called Plush, and it's covered in a puffy blue sparkle vinyl. so, so cool looking. it is a tube amp, as i understand it, and supposedly was used by black sabbath [not this particular unit, but the brand itself].

he also picked up an old Altec PA , as well as an assortment of vintage mics, stands and other electronics.

i am embarrased to say how little he paid for all of this, but it was purchased from an old salty dog who fancied himself a bassist at one time. actually, to be fair, he was a very sweet old man. a veteran of the navy, and commander of some u-boat back in wwii.

i'm interested in knowing the approx. $ value of the plush unit, and more importantly, its merit as a piece of machinery. there seems to be one wire that needs a little work, but other wise the unit is intact. we didn't have a bass to check it out on, though.

any info you can provide would be great.

and any effort you make to get to our gig tomorrow night at connections in passaic, nj would be even greater!

:bassist:

meeks

2. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    Jeff Beck played through Plush amps in the late 60's too. Apparently they were all the rage but not as well made as the Hiwatts and Marshalls of the time. I saw a Plush guitar head on ebay not long ago and it didn't even make its reserve of $400. I think its been relisted and is back up again. I think they're one of those "love 'em or hate 'em" affairs like the Acoustic 360. The real value of them is in the mind of the owner. If you dig it and it sounds good then enjoy it.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Plush was based in Long Island, NY. They copied the tuck and roll look from Kuston but were tube amps similar to Fenders inside. Later they changed the brand name to Earth. Finally they dropped the tuck and roll and started making Earth amps that looked like Peaveys :confused: including copies of the Peavey copies of Fender tweeds :eek: before finally dying out in the late 70s.

A working Plush stack in very good shape (i.e. the tuck and roll isn't totally beat) would be worth about $500 to a collector, about $300 to a player.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Brian...I never knew that Plush became Earth. Growing up in Michigan I had little exposure to Plush (I remember two heads).

I certainly do remember the tuck and roll as well as the Peavey style Earths as well as the tweed combos with solid state preamps and tube power amps...

Ahhhh, Memory Lane:D

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Go to "www.elderly.com"

When you get there, go to the Vintage link at the top of the screen, then look under Amplifiers.
    There's a pic of an Earth guitar cab there. :cool:

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yeah, we even had an Earth dealer here in Hawaii in the early 1970s. It wasn't uncommon to see both Earth and Kustom amps around here in the early 1970s.