1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pluto regains status as "planet" (in Illinois)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Our state senate here in Illinois, just a few weeks after stripping the governor of his status, apparently felt the need to restore something to it's former glory.

Pluto restored to original status of official "planet":
    http://www.astromart.com/news/news.asp?news_id=916

I'm fascinated by how something so seemingly arbitrary and non relevant to daily life as the "official" status of a solar system body in the books of the International Astronomical Union has become the subject of intense passion, feuding and name-calling since it was first debated and then decided to reclassify Pluto as a "dwarf planet".

There are a lot of people who really care about this and have a lot invested in it.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I find this use of the phrase "dwarf planet" terribly ignorant and offensive.

It's clearly a midget planet.

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Just when I thought Illinois couldn't get anymore ridiculous...:smug:

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It better have, astrologically my blood is pure pluto. :help:

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I wonder how much stimulus money THAT is going to end up costing?

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I would much prefer "munchkin"

7. I think "L.P." is the current politically correct term.

Mike

8. Haha!!!! Well, me too. Sorta.

Mike

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Rumor has it that the Kansas state school board is pushing for that state to officially reinstate the geocentric model of the universe. . .

10. Hi.

Hooray...

I think.

The leading (at least the most visible) astronomer here in Finland, Esko Valtaoja, explained the fuzz about the situation a bit like this when asked about it when the plantary status was taken away from Pluto.

Not an exact quote, it was a while ago:

" We astronomers are a bit anti-social, dull and quiet sort of people. We are tucked away in our offices and in our towers and there's really not that much to be exited about and certainly nothing much to argue about, at least not in public. When the general public notices us at last and we make the headline news, we are sure as heck going to enjoy it as much as we can :hyper:"

Now I'm no astronomer, nor have I ever been somewhere where there's more than one or two at the same time, so I'm no expert on this, but generally I think that Esko pretty much nails it ;).

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

11. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Are they the ones who redefined the value of pi to be exactly 3 ?

12. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

When I was in high school I had the opportunity to take some physics and other science classes at Fermilab which were taught by some of the scientists working there. We students were frequently mingling with some of the world's leading physicists, not just while they were lecturing on physics, but also when they were hanging out for lunch or playing chess or discussing the latest music, books, art and popular events.

I decided that they were, with few exceptions, not very passionate when it came to discussing typical issues that most people care about. But they would get all reved up when they started talking about the latest theories about particle interactions. :p

13. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    uranus1.

14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    No, but they were contemplating repealing the law of gravity.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    little planet

little pluto

lilliputian...

see a trend? :smug:

16. Everyone-
    Pluto is doing fine. Since being relieved of it's planetary status, Pluto has been enjoying an extended 15 minutes of fame. This includes commercial endorsements, the late night talk show circuit and a book and movie deal.
    Perhaps our state government is nothing to write home about, but we're pretty dang proud of Pluto.
    View attachment att_horiz_color_sml.bmp

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I got yer pluto RIGHT HERE:

pluto.

18. "Little person" may be politically correct, but it's not as pants-peeingly hilarious as "midget".

19. What a relief! I mean as much as you all may hate, is anyone considering Pluto's feelings on the matter? I have been on Pluto's side all along. And lets not forget the styrofoam ball companies can expect to see a 1/9th increase in sales for elemntary school science fair mobiles this spring. It is really a form of economic stimulus.

20. It disappoints me to know that the invasion base of my people is such a hot issue. I mean, we did select it as the perfect place to stage the Invasion of Earth because it was so small and out-of-the-way.