PLX 1602 Users - Rear Rack Ears?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I just got my 1602 and was going to use the rear rack ears from my 1850HD. The 1602 is shallower in the rack though, and the ears are too short. So I was going to buy proper ones, but QSC's webpage only lists the one set (that I already have.)

So do people bother to use them at all?
  2. I have a 2402, similar weight I think. I don't use rear rack rails. I hangs just fine.

As the amp is the bottom component in the rack I did stick a couple large sorbathane (sp?) pucks under the amp to reduce vibrations transmited from the cabinet into the amp.
  3. Thanks for the info, I'll probably do something similar if I can ever figure out what sorbothane is

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I don't use the back brackets on either one of my PLXs. Penn Fabrication and Mid Atlantic both make longer ones though.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    common uses of sorbothane are....recoil pad on the end of your shotgun, heel pads on wakeboards, shoe insoles...i never thought to use it in bass applications....good idea EASonbass!

i was also concerned that my Crown amp was just hanging there in the back....i called Crown, and the dude told me it would be fine....i was still worried, so i cut out two pieces of styrofoam from the package the amp came in, and made a "bed" for my amp to sit on....i didn't have any sorbothane, so i had to go with the styrofoam.

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've had some bad experiences with that Sothy stuff.

at certain extreme temperatures like that of the underside of a power amp after an hour of heavy playing, i heard it will mar the finish on certain exteriors. :( could be wrong, tho.

but i've used simple packing styrofoam, and it does the job nicely. holds up nicely to the heat, too.
  7. well i can hardly use styrofoam now after hearing about something as cool sounding as sorbothane.

I think I'll invent Bassofoam, start, and sit back while the $$$ rolls in.
  8. It is pretty tacky material. I wouldn't put it on your wife's coffee table. The stuff is difficult to peel off surfaces after a period of time when there's been a bit of weight on it.

My pucks actually came with a very thin, clear piece of good old plastic to put under and above. You could use anything really, a playing card, back stage pass, AOL CDs . . .

In my rack though the sticky is good and there is no finish to peel off when/if I do remove them so no bigee.
  9. I have all my PLX secured at the rear. I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise in a mobile rig. Penn Fabrication makes a variety of rear-ear brackets. You can probably find them through, or directly from Penn with a $50 minumum order.

Penn is the place for all your cab building supplies, and they sell to the public.
  10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've got mine foam supported on the bottom rack, but you could always give QSC a call at 1-800-772-2834 and see what they recommend.
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have my PLX2402 in the bottom of my rack, with no rear rack ears or no support underneath. I wonder if I should stick something in the gap between the bottom of the amp and the rack. I wonder what Bob Lee has to say about this.
  12. Indeed ... and why QSC only sells the one set of ears that seem to only fit the RMX series.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Actually, our rack ears fit all of our amps, not just the RMX models. Even with the PLX amps, I would recommend at the very least supporting the amp underneath, and even better is securing the back. Securing the back of the amp to the rack case will help reduce the likelihood of bending or otherwise physically damaging the amp or the case if it is accidentally dropped. I know from experience, before I got around to installing the rear rack ears on my rig, that this can happen. I could've spent the hour or so pulling the amp out, straightening the rack rails and the amp chassis, and putting it all back together on more interesting stuff.

If you're looking to make the rear rack ears work with a PLX amp in a standard SKB case or something similar, please send an e-mail message to me at, or to our tech support contact at, and request application note AN-PLX-01, which describes a workable solution.
  14. THanks for the PDF Bob, it makes sense now.

I didn't realize SKB made their racks deeper too.
  15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    It also features close-up photos of my bass rig. ;)

BTW, since you're a Blues fan: what's Larry Pleau thinking with Chris Pronger???? (BTW, they're both former Whalers.)
  16. I'm not sure what you're talking about .... I missed the last couple games (thankfully, heh) .... I dont see anything on their page about a trade rumor .... did I miss something?
  17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    For those who haven't seen the application note mentioned, it shows how to mount rear rack ears in a situation where the conventional method comes up a little short. Although the example shows a PLX in an SKB rack case, it can be used in other similar situations as well.

Sanctum: I saw something in The Hockey News that said the Blues haven't yet tendered a contract offer to Pronger, which risks creating bad relations between the team management and their franchise player.
  18. Oh yea that. Well we went through it last time his contract came up too. Its just the money game.

I love Pronger, but he needs to step it up a notch for his huge salary. We can't get rid of him since Al is injured (and maybe for good.)
  19. I have a 2402 in a SKB with rear support. I just went to the hardware store and bought some 90 degree brackets and some screws and nuts. I made it fit. Very easy and works great. Cost me about four bucks.