Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plx and aggie 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonathanl, Jul 24, 2004.

1. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I got my plx yesterday in the mail, but here's my question. My Aggie 112 can only handle 300W. So is it better to to leave the plx (I have a 1602) in stereo where it does 300W @ 8 ohms or 1100W @ 8hms in bridged mono (and watch the meters).

I did search the forum, but couldn't really find an answer that suited me...

Thanks!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use a stewart 1.2 in bridged mono, 1200w into 4ohms (two aggies) I think the extra power will give more life to the aggies than just meeting the rating. although I've never run two cabs in stereo, I'm pretty sure the bridged power will sound better, more lively, punchy. But, yes you should keep an eye/ear on distortion if you have to play REALLY loud!

EditL: tonight I was running bridged into one aggie (700w output) and it sounded great. I'm pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near 700w, but extra juice helps aggies come alive!

experiment!!

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Jonathan,

For the past six years I've been using a PLX 1602 in bridged mono, driving an 8-ohm EV bass cabinet rated at 200 watts continuous. Aside from when I turn the amp on, I've only seen the clip LEDs flash a couple times in those six years. If you operate like that, in a way that takes advantage of headroom, your speakers should last a long time.

4. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Oh cool! Thanks for the response. That helps :)

--Jonathan