Ply pizz suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kael, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, I am yet another BG convert (should've switched years ago). I recently purchased a Engelhardt ES1, and I definitely need a better setup, but am hesitant to mess with anything before I get better strings on it. That way I know that the sound post is in the right spot for the strings I'm using/string height set to optimal level/etc.

Yes, I have read (rather extensively, evidently I'm obsessive) all the newbie faq's, as well as most every post on here going back quite some time. My concern is that most of the posts regarding string performance are by people whose carved instruments put mine to shame. Since the reponse of strings varies according to the construction of the bass, I was wondering if I could hear some recommendations from other ply owners (plybies?).

What I'm looking for is something easier on the hands as right now my limiting factor on practice is the state of my right hand. Have plenty of callouses on the fingertips from BG, but this is using differing part of my finger. Truly annoying to get blisters again after not having to deal with them for the last 10 years or so. Sound wise I am looking for something that can growl and has good sustain on pizz. Not interested in arco at the moment, that might change, but I am focusing on pizz for now. I am contemplating weichs and superflexibles, but don't know whether or not there might be a better choice (Labella black tapes maybe?).

Thanks in advance for your advice/patience.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I suggest Corellis. The 370TX series is still very easy to play, has a clear tone with nice sustain and growl.
  3. I recently put the black Labella's on my King Moretone plywood bass. They sound great -- lot's of growl and a very clear articulate sound. They are not so good if you like a 'thicker' Ray Brown type of sound, but give more the sort of sound Ron Carter and Buster Williams have (they use these strings). They are very easy on the hands and amplify really well, at least in my experience. But don't even think of taking a bow to them. This is something you should consider carefully, if you are taking up the double bass. The best way to get intonation down is by doing a lot of practice with the bow. Corelli's mentioned in another post on this thread are very easy strings to bow, but I never cared for their sound as jazz strings. But every bass sounds different, so they might work for you.
  4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    I've used Thomastik Weich's and D'Addario Hybrid Med on my german ply bass with good success. In my experience D'Addarios bow better, Thomastiks are a little brighter for pizz.