1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Plywood bass (maker unknown) with removable neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by lcook, Jan 17, 2019.

1. lcook

lcook Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a plywood bass that I purchased in Brooklyn used from another bassist in the winter of 2016. Unfortunately, there's no label in the bass, and the previous owner didn't have much information on its history, besides the solid work that he had put into it. It's a loud, resonant plywood that amplifies very well. It appears either relatively recently constructed or/and very well cared for.

One of the major selling points of this bass for those so inclined is that it has a removable neck. It is also unknown who did the work on the neck, but it is solid and a simple operation to take the neck off (I can give the buyer a very quick tutorial, it takes about 10 minutes). The body is very light, so packed into a compatible travel case, it should easily avoid overweight charges.

As far as recent work, Mike at David Gage's shop in Manhattan recently solidified the neck joint and installed a fat new nut. Bill Merchant has also installed a new fingerboard.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a travel case for the bass (I used a combination of a Chadwick case for the body and an electric bass gig bag for the neck when I traveled with it), but I'm happy to share my discoveries and research as far as what I've learned about what's available in the market for bass cases. There is not a pickup included with the instrument.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    In case anyone is thinking about this, I'm using Case Xtreme's flight case and am happy enough with it, the half dozen times I've use it

3. lcook

lcook Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cool! I've heard really great things about those cases as well. I actually have a friend in Brooklyn, Dave Speranza, who has a CaseXtreme travel bass case that he is trying to sell, and I'm more than happy to put any potential buyers in touch with him if that helps to sweeten the deal.