Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plywood basses troubles

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dreadhead, Nov 25, 2003.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I'm going to buy my first double bass. I need something soon to start taking lessons.
    This is the trouble: I've spent all my money to get good electric bass stuff and then my mother has to pay for the DB. In this case I want to spend the least, but I fear that a $500.00 could be the worst choice. What trouble could it have? Is it possible to make these plywood things play and sound good with better hardware and strings?
    Help! I know electric bass well but the DB is just a stranger for me... Thanx a lot! :bassist:

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Dread,
    Your best bet is to take a look thru the "Newbie Links" at the top of this forum, Chris has coralled all the threads for this kind of thing. Since the question comes up alot, you'll find a wealth of information there.

And to get to the heart of your question, folks don't seem to believe you can get a new bass at $500 that's actually a bass, but you may luck into something good used. I believe your entry-level price on a plywood bass that's worth owning is around $1500, available from several makers. Visit Newbies, tons of info and product reviews for ya.

G/L!
    John

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx! Well, I know that a cheap bass just can't be good, but I was thinking about getting something I haven't to worry about while I'm gigging or studying... but it's clear that I would buy another instrument (probably and EUB) in a while. Another choice could be to get a decent double bass and add a piezo for the future gigs... :confused:
    It's pretty awful for me to see how much these basses go for... I have a friend who builds amazing electric basses and then I'm not used to normal market prices... :(