Plywood basses troubles

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dreadhead, Nov 25, 2003.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello! I'm going to buy my first double bass. I need something soon to start taking lessons.
    This is the trouble: I've spent all my money to get good electric bass stuff and then my mother has to pay for the DB. In this case I want to spend the least, but I fear that a $500.00 could be the worst choice. What trouble could it have? Is it possible to make these plywood things play and sound good with better hardware and strings?
    Help! I know electric bass well but the DB is just a stranger for me... Thanx a lot! :bassist:
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Dread,
    Your best bet is to take a look thru the "Newbie Links" at the top of this forum, Chris has coralled all the threads for this kind of thing. Since the question comes up alot, you'll find a wealth of information there.

And to get to the heart of your question, folks don't seem to believe you can get a new bass at $500 that's actually a bass, but you may luck into something good used. I believe your entry-level price on a plywood bass that's worth owning is around $1500, available from several makers. Visit Newbies, tons of info and product reviews for ya.

3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanx! Well, I know that a cheap bass just can't be good, but I was thinking about getting something I haven't to worry about while I'm gigging or studying... but it's clear that I would buy another instrument (probably and EUB) in a while. Another choice could be to get a decent double bass and add a piezo for the future gigs... :confused:
    It's pretty awful for me to see how much these basses go for... I have a friend who builds amazing electric basses and then I'm not used to normal market prices... :(