Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plywood finish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bijoux, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Do you guys know why most plywood basses have those real tacky finishes, sunbust etc.like the Englehearts with the violin corners are good looking basses, and they play well when set up right, but what's up with that sunburst, arrrgh!

2. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I hear you, man, those Engelhardt finishes are heinous. My EM-1 has a retina-searing orange-ish finish with a brown sunburst effect that cuts diagonally across the corner of each bout. Protected, of course, by super-hi-gloss varnish that looks as if it were sprayed from a can. Truly hideous. I did tame the gloss by buffing out the varnish with a scotchbrite pad.

3. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I hear you, man, those Engelhardt finishes are heinous. I bought an EM-1, and not only is it a retina-searing orange-ish finish, the brown sunburst effect cuts diagonally across the corner of each bout. Protected, of course, by super-hi-gloss varnish that looks as if it were sprayed from a can. Truly hideous. I did tame the gloss by buffing out the varnish with a scotchbrite pad.