1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plz anyone know a good bass tech to work on my electronics in or around Fresno ca

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rockchopper86, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Ok well I had sent my bass to a tech to get the frets leveled and dressed and get a crackling noise in my electronics fixed and then I wanted to have a series/parelell/single coil switch and a active passive switch added to it well the guy calls back and he won't work on electronics apparently so IM getting the fret level done but I realy realy need a good electronics guy to do the mods and fix the buzzing for me so please if anybody here either can do it or has a tech they would recomened in the area help me out cuz I need this done my bass has been down for like 4 weeks

2. Anybody got anywork done in Or around Fresno ca mid cal anyware?????

3. So nobody in Fresno does electronics work seriously not one person on here other then me is in Fresno and has ever had any work done on there bass?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you can't find anybody in your area, you could always ship it to my shop.

However, what you are requiring isn't that difficult. Perhaps check with an amp repair place or similar - they could surely do something like that.

5. If you don't mind bringing it down to Visalia, Doug @ Damage Inc. (635.4417) should be able to set you up. The only down side is that he's a one-man shop and will most likely need the bass for a week or so...well worth the wait IMO, given the work he does.

6. Sweet thanks guys ya I don't mind it takeing a week or so I just want those couple switches added for series parallel single coil and a active passive and fix the little crackle and pretty much go through the wireing on it what do you think that would cost its got barts and an Aggie obp3. Ya the guy I had it at levels and recrowned the frets but wouldn't even touch the wireing he said he couldn't find a schematic for the mods I wanted and he didnt want to fix the problems it has so i was pissed how you gonna tell me you can't find a wirieng schematic for a aggie obp3 pre anyway thanks for the help what do you think it will cost

7. I have no idea...his bench fee is $65, tho.

8. Right on I haven't had muchwork done before house the bench fee work thing work? It's 65 dollers for him to look at it plus the work and parts

9. The bench fee is kinda the starting point for repair work; sometimes it's all he charges, depending on what's being done. I'd guess that for what you want done, the labor would be more than what the bench fee will cover.

Call Doug and tell him what you want done - he'll give you a pretty good idea of how much it'll cost and how long it'll take.

10. Why don't you do it yourself??
    $65 is throwing your money in the trash can.

Once you learn to start doing this stuff yourself, you wont ever have to pay a tech to do it. Go down to RadioShack and spend $20 on a soldering iron kit and solder, look up some web resources on how to solder, then buy the parts and do it yourself.

11. Ya I wanted to start doing it myself and I havebeen doing the more basic stuff like instaling pickups and soldering and basic setups but I can't find the cause of the static sound thathappens when I turn the volume knob all the way up it's gotto be a groundong issue though and it's driveing me nuts and I figured I'd get the mods done while IM at it if your coming through Fresno I'd be happy to pay youto do it if you can IM not sure what a 3 way mini switcha nd a regular active passive mini switch cost but this is my main 6er and I don't want to have anymore hassles I just want it right