1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pocket Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hesham8, Oct 5, 2008.

1. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    So, a friend of mine suggested I get a pocket amp for those times when you have to play bass but can't afford to make sound (aka, those wonderful runs at 3 o' clock in the morning, when everyone else is asleep). Unfortunately, I've never heard of any decent manufacturer making a pocket amp that has decent enough sound quality to have ever been mentioned. Ideas?

2. Hi.

Quite a few pedals will be able to drive headphones and also most of the pres. One time I practiced with active Washburn with modified headphones (a 1/4 mono adapter will do the trick if it's not necessary to hear the sound from both of the speakers).

How much You're willing to spend?

Regards
    Sam

3. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    Fender makes a couple of pocket amps. Dean Markley makes one too that has a built in tuner. They're all for guitar so I doubt they'll be any good for bass. The smallest bass amp I can think of is the Roland micro cube. Its kinda pricey in my opinion but I'm an unemployed high school student so my budget is limited.

4. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Check out some of the mini-mixers
    Less than $50, headphones out, and ability to mix bass and mp3 together.

6. I just picked up a Korg Pandora 5 for about $175 on ebay. It handles bass and guitar. It has effects and drum machine. You can also plug in your ipod/mp3 player. It records about 80 seconds so you can loop your playing or the ipod and slow it down. The new one has the usb interface to hook it up to your pc. It's been a great practice tool. Definately can put in your pocket.

7. Unfortunately I don't think it's still in production, but I use my Pocket Rock-It 4-5x per week. I've had it for over 15 years now. Even though there are some sweet alternatives on the market, I haven't been tempted to replace it.

Good luck with your search, and I can't recommend one of these highly enough. It'll make you want to practice all the time! They're also great for making sure you play cleanly - any noise you generate will be, well...amplified. Definitely a must-have...

8. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
  9. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    a little pricer and slightly larger.. but i'm lovin' the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase i picked up a couple weeks ago.. has headphone output, but i prefer to piss off my roommates at 3AM with my noodlin'. :)

10. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    Vox makes a series of mini-headphone amps mostly for guitars (I had the AC 30 version and it worked great) I have just read recently they have one for Bass, it should be out soon, May be wrth a look.

11. Bass301

Bass301

Jul 13, 2008
    +1 on the Korg Pandora series.

The sound quality is much improved when using good headphones. "Good" means compatible with the Pandora.
    The best I have found so far are the Ear Hugger brand, models 220 and 440, a frequently stocked item nationwide at Big Lots stores for just two dollars . These sound better than expensive Sony, Grado, etc and are remarkably hiss quiet.

Without compatible headphones the Pandora will sound like a beginner's toy. The Pandora is a much better piece of equipment than most people assume. I am surprised Korg has not resorted to including a pair of compatible headphones as standard equipment with every Pandora so everyone can hear the real tone. Pandora is the most useful piece of equipment I have ever owned other than the actual bass instrument.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I've used the Rockman Bass Ace and a product called Pocket-Rock-it, and prefer the Pocket-Rock-it. Way smaller, better sounding (to my ears anyway), better controls and more useful input/output options.

Not sure how they would stack up against (probably) better engineered gear by PJB and such makers, but they were pretty cheap ($60 or so) and get the job done nicely.

good luck