Pocket PC versus Palm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Feb 5, 2004.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A software discussion. I'm going to be purchasing a new PDA soon. I'd like to hear some opinions on the two OSes.

I know the basics:

- Palm has more software.
    - Pocket PC can run multiple programs.
    - Pocket PC crashes more often.

So, can anyone share with me their experiences?

Thank you kindly.
  2. Radio Kaos 64

Radio Kaos 64

Oct 15, 2003
    Well Jazz, I'd be happy to help you. Pocket PC's typically run a pocket version of Windows, and and are far less prone to crashing. They are also fairly fast, up to 233 MHz, roughly the same speed as the laptop I am typing this on! They are excellent in terms of multi-tasking, which is always good. My Jornada was ROCK solid. However, my expierence with Palms has been fairly sour. My Sony Clie was a total PITA to get working. Also, the software is far less complex. Palms also lack the detailed quality in video that the Pocket PCs are excellent at. I hope this helps! Oh yes, Pocket PCs are also able to use Smart Media/Compact Flash hard drives, allowing for superior storage!
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey......cool topic jazzbo........i just bought an iPaq after several weeks of researching......my wife owns a Handspring Visor which uses the Palm software.

I went with the iPaq for many reasons, one of which was the MS operating sysem, mine has pocketPC 2002.....the controls are very intuitive since most of us use Windows anyway......the Palm OS is not difficult to use, just the previous familiarity with Windows makes the PocketPC much simpler to operate. For me, it came down to an iPaq or a Dell Axim. Both are good machines, that use the same OS.

I have not had my PocketPC crash once yet. I run mulitple programs at a time, and it performs flawlessly everyday. I use mine ALOT too. I have had no problem finding programs for mine either. Most of them include Pocket Word which is VERY handy if you are a MS Word user on your desktop.....you can transfer and edit files no problem on your PocketPC.

I am not knocking the Palm stuff one bit. My wife has had zero problems with hers also. Let us know what you pick. I did hours of research on all kinds of them, so let me know if you have any questions about a specific model. I have the iPaq 3650.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Palm OS on a handspring, nightmare.

Toshiba pocket PC, no trouble, looks better, does more.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

PS: Im totally lusting over a Zodiac PDA

It's palm based (which im used to) and also serves as a gaming platform and is capable of doing 3d. Reviews are great and now it has a growing community, kinda pricey though.

ps: a SNES emulator it's on the way for it :hyper:
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was a Psion user for years, made the switch to Palm, and now to a Windows SmartPhone device. I like 'em all...
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The highest processor speed for a PocketPC is 400MHZ. I'm sure there is more. I have a Toshiba e350 and I dig it. Small, thin and light. I used to have an iPaq 3800, but the headphone jack went to ****, and I had a replacement plan, so hence the Toshiba. My dad has a Handspring, and I just hate the Palm OS. Comparing the two is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Windows XP.
  8. i would go for the pocket pc just because they are capable of doing more due to the generally higher specs than the palm based systems. also, some of the nicer pocket pcs have integrated cell phones, which seems like a great idea to me. im thinking about getting one.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Mine is a 3765, not the 3650. I don't know what I was thinking. Then again, I guess I wasn't.