1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

POD HD for bass thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    There has been alittle mentioned about the pod hd for bass but, not much since there is only one model for bass, the ampeg b-15n. I just picked one up for a super low price and plan to use it direct to the board for acoustic type gigs. I'll let you guys know what I think of it but, maybe some others could add in how they use it, settings, etc.

2. they used to make a bass pod didn't they?

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yes, a few different versions, but the newer hd seems like it sounds more clear and thats a good thing. I would have just picked up and origional bass pod for next to nothing but I got such a good deal on this one and the options are astounding, really.

4. OmeDunk

OmeDunk

Jan 14, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Sub'd!

5. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    I have one of the older Pod XT Bass "bean" units. The same models are included in the Pod X3. I think there's also a non-XT Pod Bass -- haven't heard that one. Nothing "unclear" about the models in the XT version. Where'd you get a good deal on the HD?

6. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I just got one, and have been playing around with it alot. The Fliptop model sounds pretty old-skool, but has this woof to it that is rather intriguing. A little tube drive pedal helps "modernize" it a bit, but it's definitely a great starting point.

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Cool. I bought it from an individual. Im looking forward to mimicking a pearce preamp with billy sheehan mod. Since you can blend two amps together and there is a hi-pass filter available, I should be able to get a hi-passed clean sound mixed with a hi-passed distorted sound really easy. I could then put that in the fx loop of my genz sm9.2 and blend that sound with my fullrange sound. Very billy sheehan. I've got 3 acoustic gigs left for the summer where I go direct to the board. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to dial up some compression and the b-15n model and be ready to go. At the very least some compression and alittle eq.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just a quick update. I got the pod hd on thursday 1 hour before my acoustic rock gig. I first downloaded the new firmware, the set up a basic preset using the B15n sim. I played with it on friday night in the same setting and then alittle today at home. I actually prefer this for bass guitar and acoustic guitar more than electric guitar. The FX are WAY better than I expected and are better than some of the units they model. The bass octave (ebs sim) tracks so well, I like that one better than the real thing. I don't plan to use this unit in my electric rig but will continue using it for the acoustic rock gigs where my electric bass goes to the board. The unit is pretty easy to use and I've been able to figure out everything that I want without looking at the manual. I may have to have a 2nd neck operation in the near future and if that happens, I may use this unit to continue gigging with the rock band until I heal up. For the $230 that I have invested in this used unit, I have nothing to complain about. I really don't like the line6 modelling ine general but, this unit is kind of nice. The feel is more natural than the other units and there is more sparkle to the sound. Though, I think that I actually prefer the origion red bean pod for electric guitar.

9. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I use the old Pod 2.0 for both guitar and bass with a tube pre for it...sounds okay for demos and headphones, but it's still got that stale digital sound.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, it does. I'll have to play around more with this unit but, the presets for guitar have been pretty bad so far. The online samples I 've heard are way better.

11. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I have been toying with my HD500 pretty heavily over the last few days. I plugged it into my power amp and ran it through my eden 210XLTs, and thought it sounded a bit off from what I expected. But, playing with it through my wedge monitors was way better. I happened upon the combination of the B15n with a J800/greenback 25 (for some very gritty dirt and barkier mids) in a dual tone config. That sound could probably still use some tweaking when I get to practice (so I can turn it up beyond my apartment's noise level limitations), because I think the lows and highs are gonna be too much at higher volumes. But I believe it will be down to some relatively easy knob twisting, and no deep editing.

I am still gonna use my X3 Live for the time being, but I can definitely see moving to the HD500 permanently, especially if they ever release some more models for us low-enders (crossing fingers for a 400+ and 2x15 model).

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I have a X3 Live..... but I never use it live..... it gets used for my project studio stuff, and even then, it's just for scratch/guide tracks. (plug-n-play..... no time wasted setting up amps and mics.... and no bleed)

I like all the preamp choices though, and it's fun to mess around with. The one thing I'd love for it to do (or some other unit), is to have it do a baseline on your mic, and let you plug in a model that will adjust accordingly to make it sound like another mic. It would be killer to do a track with a sm57, and have it sound like an old neumann.

I've used the pod farm to "fix-up" a nasty slide guitar track once, and that was pretty cool.

13. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've tried using every one of the pods as a preamp before and have never really cared for it like that. The feel and tone just isn't there but, I do like it for recording, in-ear band practise and to go to the pa in an emergency.

14. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Many people have described the sound of POD's through a real amp as sounding "dead", "dark", "lifeless", "unrealistic" because they still have the effects of cabinet/mic simulations in place when going through those types of speakers/cabinets. The cabinet/mic simulations are best suited for direct recording or monitoring through a full range system. This is why some people claim that PODs sound best through PA's, powered monitors, etc., but through a real amp, not so much!

I have a major tip to share with all fellow Line 6 POD X3 users.

Bass tones having cabinet/mic simulations on them are typically not ones you would want pumping out of your live bass speakers or cabinets. Be sure to disable "cabinet simulation" effects on units that feature it when their output destination is to actual bass speakers or cabinets! That is, unless you like distant, mic-phased, blurry tones through a speaker box that would make them even more so.

The trick with the POD X3 is two-fold:

1) Set the Output Mode to something other than "Match/Studio Direct"

"Match/Studio Direct" is suited for direct recording or monitoring through a full range system. A real live bass amp/rig is neither those. "Match/Studio Direct" is the default for POD X3's and most people do not even know to change this.

2) Set the amp model's CAB parameter to "NO CABINET" and ROOM parameter to 0%

The CAB + ROOM parameters impart cabinet/mic/room simulations that you do not need or want when going through a real live bass speaker/cabinet.

Cheers!

15. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN

.... not as a bass preamp, but a mic preamp.

16. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Quoted for truth! My "bean" became a whole new animal once I discovered this trick. The POD is an amazing unit, but it requires a thorough understanding of EVERY parameter to make the most of it. Also, be sure your parametric isnt set to something goofy (mine was out of the box).

17. What gets me about most "consumer" type players is that they expect to buy something like one of these Line 6 gizmos, plug it in, and become a rock star at the stomp of a switch. No matter which instrument you play, it's going to take some effort to make it sound right. The presets that manufacturers supply are designed (pretty much) to sell the device, to impress you at the music store.

Look how many things on eBay there are that say "used once, nearly new!" Why is that? It's due to disappointment. Folks buy stuff and expect miraculous improvements instantly. We live in a McCountry where we expect McPerfection in a McInstant.

CharlieC hit it right on the noggin. It takes some sensible tweaking and some time to get something as complex as an HD500 to produce results. If the Line 6 stuff sounded as bad as some of the consumer level players all said it did, they'd have been out of business a decade ago.

I've found that many of the guitar models work GREAT for bass, clean or otherwise. It just takes time and effort to make it happen. If you expect perfect tone to be handed to you and land in your lap, you're going to be disappointed your entire life.

Ok, enough lecturing. I'm sitting in a hotel room when I am supposed to be gigging. Our drummer got in an accident on the way here and injured his hand and damaged his drum kit. So we're sitting out a gig we wait for every year. I'm kinda pissed off and going through a lot of mixed emotions right now (feeling bad for our drummer who's got a stitched up hand and a busted up 88 piece kit, feeling pissed off and disappointed that the gig is a fail for us this year, and feeling sorry for myself because we're missing out on this wonderful two-night outdoor gig that we hit every year.). I need to get over myself I suppose. Sorry if my bad attitude washed over into this thread.

Looks like Casshern Sins is on in a few minutes ... best part of the whole weekend so far! One of the best Sci-Fi Animes ever made. So I'll leave everyone alone now. Haahaa! :)

In summary, give this uber-complex type of gear a chance, don't ignore possible tonal success just because one or more aspects were made for "guitar". And kill the room and cab sims when you're using live BASS GEAR .. it will clear up the entire sound and impress the hells out of you if you get it right. There's a reason that Line 6 provides an editor ......

:)

18. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    ^ Amen. The pod really is a marvelous tool, but it's NOT "plug and play". However, once you have a good sense of how to dial it in, it is a tonal swiss army knife.

19. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Im really like the HD B-15 sim for my acoustic rock gigs and at home in-ear practise. I found that I really like the sound I get when I run the Di out of my shuttlemax 9.2 into the pods mic input and use the same simulation to the board. I've gone back to micing my cab recently but will be trying this too. Using it in this way actually sounds more like my rig than using the mic. Pretty cool. The whole secret for me has been the parameters for adjusting the cabs response. I use the high pass at 70hz, 0 ambient sound, 0 thump. It actually sounds more like my sealed cab and not muddy and clumsy like on the other pods. If the earlier versions had these features I would have liked them alot better. Im really liking it for bass, acoustic guitar and vocals. Not so much for guitar. It requires even more tweaking for guitar and I actually like the origional bean better than the HD for guitar. It's like I have to use boost pedals, the mid focus eq and other things just to make the guitar models sound like the other pods. The only thing I like better for guitar with the HD is that the sound is more crisp and the fx are light years better.

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Im still really liking the podhd for the above listed situations but, I can't get a solid electric guitar sound at all. I can plug into the origional pod bean, select a marshall amp, turn a few knobs and be done with it. On the HD, if I select an amp, it doesnt' even sound useable unless I run a boost, compressor and eq on it. Even then it sucks. I just do not understand that at all. My guitar is an american strat with SD humbuckers. A really solid, great guitar in every way. I can plug it straight into my tech 21 trademark 60 and be done.