Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pod line 6 pro

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sharp_19, Aug 26, 2003.

1. sharp_19

sharp_19

May 22, 2003
    Hi, i play a warwick bass through an SWR bass stack at the moment. One of my mates has recomended the bass pod pro, i know its pretty good for recording direct into computers and studio setups but how would it fit in with my amp would i be able to go into the pod then route into the amp head and then into the cabinets? if so would i benefit in anyway when playing live, or what would it do to my over all setup??

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I purchased a used Bass POD Pro about 2 months ago to replace an old Roland GP-16 guitar processor I was using in my high end (bridge pickup) rig, along with the standard footboard that goes with it with the Wah and Volume pedals on it.

I bought one, as I used a regular "kidney bean" Bass POD in a studio in Houston when I was doing a few recording sessions down there for an indie label artist, and really liked it.

Anyway, I really like the Bass POD Pro as a preamp, however, I am using a power amp (and some other gear - compressor, sonic max, etc.) and not a regular bass head. To really tweak the effects does require using their software on your PC with a MIDI card, but the front panel controls do make making quick changes on the fly pretty easy.

They are really nice for using in the studio, I would suspect that using it as a preamp into a regular bass head would be overkill.

My only complaint, and a minor one, is that it does not have stereo outputs, only mono. Kinda kills the chorus, if you use it....

:^)~

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    What do you want to use the Pod for? Since it's in the recording forum, I'd assume it's for studio use. In that case, most people would run the out from the Pod into one channel, and the out from your amp (if you used it) to a different channel. Some may even mic your cabinet, but I think most people go direct with bass. In that case the pod wouldn't interact with your amp.

But for using it live, you could either run the Pod into the in of your amp, or into the power amp in on your amp (which bypasses the amps preamp, making the Pod your preamp.) But with a Warwick/SWR setup, I don't think you'd really need a Pod, unless you need different type of amp sounds. Overall change to your setup's sound could be minor or huge, depending on the amp model you use. Using a SWR model wouldn't change the sound that much, but would be pointless since you have an SWR. Using an Ampeg model would change your tone a good bit.

4. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had a lot of luck using the Bass Pod to record direct, and I've had 0 luck using it as a preamp for live use. For recording I've had to do a lot of twiddling to get what I want but I do find it's very comparable to the sound I get when I mic my actual amp. YMMV.