1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pod or Pod XT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Line 6 Bass POD

12.5%
  2. Line 6 Bass POD XT

37.5%
  3. Other Line 6(specify in post)

25.0%
  4. Other(specify in post)

25.0%
  1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Looking for a good amp modeler, but don't want to spend that much. I can but the line 6 bass Pod, or the newer Pod xt. Is there any real difference, besides price? Although, the ability to mix 'n' match cabs would be cool. I won't really use the effects, other that an occasional phaser. If you have other suggestions, please make them known.

Please give advice.

Thank you.

2. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    tantative bump

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sansamp VT Bass. No FX, but amp modeling and speaker sim that's as close to Ampeg tube amps as you can get without owning actual Ampeg tube amps.

4. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've tried the VT bass, wasn't really my thing, might try it again, but i'm looking for a lot of tonal versatility, because i play may styles, and have many favourite amps, so the Line 6 bass pod looks good. I'm also looking at the Zoom B2 for a cheap alternative.

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    bump once more.

6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    More options with the XT, but there are some good sounds in the POD if you aren't looking for a lot of effects.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Correct.

I tried the POD XT, wich is has a few more amp models than the first one, and I like the modelling.
    There are a lot of nay-sayers about amp modelling, but if it's just for home practice or your first steps into recording the POD is a fine tool.
    I think Line6 is good at what they do.
    Off course it will never be 100% like the real thing, but noone claimed that.
    If you can buy a POD used it's worth the money over a bigger amplifier if you just use it for practice I think.

But I'm actually myself looking at the X3. A bunch of effects. Not that I overuse them but there are some effects that the X3 has that I like to experiment with.

My only problem is: the regular X3 or the rackunit.
    The regular is more portable since I most want to use it in private practice.
    The rack has two effect loops plus two 1/4" inputs.

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'd actually be using it for gigs, to switch up my tone and effects per song. I'm not sure how that's recieved around here, but that is what i'd be using it for.

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    POD X3 ;) Slightly better and more options, (wanna biamp? It will..)

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    If you can afford it, I would just go for the new X3, maybe a used one can be had cheap.

That, or the XT.

12. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I have the X3 bean, the POD XT bean, POD 2.0 bean, and Bass POD XT Pro. I've also owned the Bass POD bean, X3L, and Bass POD Pro. Out of all of these, the X3 is clearly the best, but there are times when I wish I still had the Bass POD bean due to it's simplicity. With the X3 I find that I use it less because there are so many things to tweak.

13. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Think i might get the X3, but i'll try the Bass pod XT when i can find it.

14. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can buy the guitar POD XT and purchase the Bass Expansion Pack. Just another thought to complicate the decision.

If you can afford it, get the X3. There have been issues with the floor model, the X3L. Footswitches breaking, etc. For that reason, I went with the X3 bean. Also helps that I already own a floorboard for the XT and it works with the X3.

15. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    One Question:

If i get the Zoom B2, will that be a horrible mistake in an attempt to save money, or will it still be manageable?

16. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Depends on you needs. Buy used and you can most likely flip it later for the same price.

17. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    The Zoom or the Line 6?

I can get the zoom for 110 new

and the Bass pod for 200 used.

18. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Either one. Used prices will tend to stay level.

19. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'll try both tomorrow.

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If it was just for home practice I'd say get the XT. If you wanna bi-amp (especially in a guitar amp/bass amp config) I'd say go for the X3. They're both OK, but you might be disappointed by the cab side of things. Depends on how you like the mics. I didn't like em after the "honeymoon" of "look at all the options" wore off. Some peeps on here love the modeling tho.

Just gotta try it out for yourself I guess :D

One warning: there is a noticeable time with no sound when you switch patches. XT or X3.