Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POD preamp = Good SVT sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 25, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can a bass Pod Pro (not XT) make a convincing vintage SVT sound when used as a preamp?
    Is it easy to change sound at a gig or do you have to go deep editing and reading the manual between songs?
    I tried the Sans Amp Bass Di and did not like it. The Pod sound good in the store with headphones...

2. The SVT model in the POD Pro is really good, actually. I preferred the Mesa Bass 400+ model more, however. It seemed 'bigger' somehow.

There's knobs on the front for EQ and preamp Gain which you can adjust whenever you want. You don't need to do any deep editing or use the manual to make simple, 'regular amp' adjustments. It will work like any preamp you'd normally use, but gives you the flexibility to save your changes to a preset.

Example: Say you're jamming in your room and you love your room sound, but it just doesn't work when you get to your rehearsal space...have two presets and just switch between the two for whatever situation you're in. The same goes for venues. If you play the same club over and over, dial in your sound for that room and save it to a preset.

I wouldn't necessarily call the SansAmp BDDI a great preamp. It's a pretty interesting effect, live D.I., and studio preamp, but for a live rig, I think having a dedicated preamp is a good way to go.

Put the POD Pro with a good power amp and I think you've got a great rig

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    Is there a big difference in the amp emulations on the XT vs. the old bass pod?

4. I'm not sure...never tried the XT. I owned the POD Pro for about 6 months, but wanted to be able to use more effects, so I sold it.

Definitely do a search (if you haven't already) in the Effects Forum, type in Bass Pod and you'll get hundreds of threads on them. There's probably threads that'll compare the two.

5. FWIW, the "Tube Preamp" setting in the Pod sounds a LOT more like a real SVT than the "SVT" preset.

6. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I've never liked the SVT setting on my POD. Sounds way too weak and thin to me, unless major eq adjustments are used. I also prefer the 400+ model.

I mostly just use my pod for a headphone amp, to practice at home with.

7. Funny thing about the SVT setting on the POD. When you play it in the bed room it sounds like crap. But, when I use mine on a gig cranked up with drums and guitar, it does sound (to me) like an SVT.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I even read about someone using the SVT setting on the POD inte his SVT Classic poweramp. Kind of funny I think. Gave him better SVT sound than the Ampeg pre in his opinion. :D