1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pod X3 (bean) vs. Bass Pod XT Live

Discussion in 'Line 6' started by Firesalt, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I currently own a Pod X3 (the bean) and love the way it sounds and capabilities... but I worry about durability for gigging. I guess I could just leave it sittign on top of the stack where it usually sits but heavy vibrations are always a concern as well as drop testing it. So I begin looking at used Bass Pod XT Live models... and I wonder will I get the same performance out of it as I do my X3. Will I have the same tone and effect options? Will I have the same control over every nuance as I do with my X3? I’ve looked at the specs for both on the Line 6 website and I can’t get a potato for potato comparison because the X3 is built for other things as well as bass…
    Thoughts?

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Have you thought about using one of the bean mounts like this:

Amazon.com: Line 6 POD Mount: Musical Instruments

It mounts to a mic stand, so you don't have to bend over to make changes to it.

If you happen to have (or can find a cheap) FBV shortboard, you can use it just like an XT/X3 live.

Also, keep in mind, you can add a bass expansion pack to an XT and it's the same as an XT bass (except you'll also have all the guitar side amps and cabs). With the new HD stuff out, you can probably pick up an XT for fairly cheap. If the new HD units had bass amps, I'd sell you mine, but until then, I'm holding onto it just for the bass stuff.

I believe that the X3 has all the same bass amps, cabs, etc. as the XT Bass/Expansion pack. They may be slightly better in quality? But, I'm not sure on that... Although, I think the only real advantage the X3 had over a fully loaded (all expansion packs) XT was the ability to run dual amps at the same time.

3. Firesalt

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I hadn't thought about a mounting option... I might purchase it and try it out to see how it works. If it does work out then that would be optimal.
    I had forgotten that the XT only runs one program model at a time (where the X3 runs two) and I almost always use both at the same time to maximize my tone.
    I already own a short board (4 button and a pedal) and thought about searching for the larger board to see if it offered more options like turning on the different mods (stomp, delay, verb, etc) and ease of changing presets, A1, A3, B3, C2, etc.
    Perhaps I should just spend more time working on my user presets instead. ;)
    And thanks for the response, 98dvl.

4. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I think mounting the bean, and having a floor controller is the optimum setup in theory... It just costs a bit more. You can make adjustments at waist level if needed, but still can control everything with your feet when playing.

The four button pedal is the "FBV Express". The Shortboard will let you do what want (enable/disable different effects, and ease in changing presets). Keep in mind, there's a Shorboard Mk II that goes beyond the first shortboard, and you can program the buttons to do whatever you want (short of world domination I'm sure). Because the new model is out, the Mk I shortboards can be picked up for around $125 or so.

5. Firesalt

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I've ordered the stand you linked and will try that to see if it works out. I'll use the FBV Express with it just to switch tones for now. Hell, I can just push the mod or stomp button if I need for the time being. I looked at the Shortboard Mk II but dont' want to drop another $200 on the setup just yet... I may not even need it (I thought the screen on it was a nice addition though). And if they ever come out with a world domination patch I'll be sure to pick one up on the way home from work one day. ;)