1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POD XT Live v BDDI programmable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassWombat, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I'm toying with the idea of replacing my BDDI programmable with a POD XT Live. I love what I get from the BDDI, but would like to have the ability to have a few effects to play around with. I'd be using it as a dedicated pre, running into a Focus SA power amp and either a Schroeder 1212 or Epifani T210.

I guess what I'm really wondering is how the SVT modelling is on the POD versus the BDDI? (I did hunt through several of the extensive POD threadsn to see if I could find someone who'd done a direct comparison but nothing so far...).

2. I've got one. It's great for recording or as a pre. The modeling is alright, but I'm sure you'll love the pure sound of you're bass into the power amp with just some EQ, compression and the Bass OD (Sans Amp model;)). I would recomend it. There are a few bugs I should mention:

-The synth FX SUCK. They crack up and "gargle"
    -There are a bunch of usless FX (tape eater, random synth/FX/harmony, to name a couple)
    -the DI is NOT actualy a DI, it's just an unprocessed signal

But, it does have killer features such as freq. crossovers, reconfigurable orders....
    The chorus sounds and reverbs are great
    The wah is gnarly when you hit it hard with active pick ups, a la Cliff style sound.

Try it out before you decide.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have had both units. While I didn't do a direct comparison, I can say the PodXT is a great model of that sound and many others. The BDDI is fine I guess, but I am not as big a fan of that unit as many others seem to be.

I am currently using a PodXT (bean) for my preamp and am pretty happy. I don't use all of the features, but for now it works great. I have been debating going to something else simply because I don't use/need all the stuff in the Pod, but until it sells or I decide what else I may want for a preamp, this is working fine.

4. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    The 'Direct' out is confusing. Because it is not a DI out. It is a direct bass sound out - the uneffected sound straight from your bass. They should have called it something different IMO. And it should have DI outs as well.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Isn't that what a DI is? Straight bass sound, uneffected by tone and other controls. That's what i tis on any other preamp or head, isn't it?

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No. A DI converts your unblanced signal (like a bass) into a balanced signal, so it can be plugged into a mixer or anything else looking for a balanced signal.

7. The anoying thing about that "DI" is that you still need a DI box to send a balanced line to the P.A. I took the covers off to look at the circuit board and found that the jack is a stereo but the other pin does'nt work!

The BOD XT live works ok and I use it all the time but you can't really adjust effects on the fly. The key is to plan your effects before the gig. I ould rather have had less effects and more control.

8. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
  9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

That is only on the bean version. The OP said he was considering a PodXT Live, which does need a DI to convert to a balanced signal. No one can understand why Line 6 designed it this way and it is one of the benefits of the bean version over the Live version.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021