Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pod?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Mar 6, 2001.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Here is the question-

Im considering buying a pod for two reasons. To use the amp modeling live for getting a good signal to the PA. And for some of the effects. I have heard that there are seperate
    outputs for the FX and amp models. That way you could route the the FX to your amp, and send the amp models straight to the board, avoiding the problems you can run into
    from running direct. (i use a carvin r600 head, and the DI on it sucks big time) Am I on the right track with this? someone help me out.

2. I have a bean POD and that isn't how the outs are set up. There is a direct out with no amp model, compressor or efx. There is a modeled out that has 2 modes AMP with amp models, compressor,and fx in amp mode, AIR mode has the amps, compressor, fx and cab models. There isn't a seperate out for the efx which are OK IMO.

The Pro does have more outs.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd caution you on your proposal! The POD may have a good DI, but cannot comment on that since I've never tried it.

The amp modeling is pretty cool, and so are some of the effects. However, I found that this unit is not a good choice if you're just looking to "flavor" your sound. If you're looking to bypass the tones of your Carvin, that's fine, but the POD is permanently fixed in the amp modeling mode, whereas the effects at least have a bypass.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Do NOT get the POD for live playing. It is nothing but trouble. It is a great tool for recording, but is not for regular gigging. The volumes are all over the place, the effects are difficult to tweak, and the outputs are awkward. The effects and moddeling really dont come across live either. I bought one and was extremely disspointed.

Most "out-of-head" DIs like on your carvin dont work. They usually provide a heavy hum noise. For a good straight DI there are many to choose from. For effects there are alos many to choose from. But I really do NOT recommend the POD. Sorry.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    6er-

Now that I think of it, I'd recommend the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI for live modeling. It'll suit you a lot better and has a lot of wonderful tones lurking just beneath the hood;)

And, if you want more flexibility, Sans Amp also has a new rackmountable Bass Driver, which goes under the trade-name RPB-1 or something like that. Or, if you want programmability, you could even get the Sans Amp PSA-1.

6. As the BassPOD comes there are certainly a lot of problems trying to use a POD live, but if you have the patience it is possible to program in the sounds you want at the volumes wanted. As far as the models not coming across if you run it through a regular bass amp it will add it's own coloration and mask a lot of the character of the POD but if you use a power amp and a full range cabinet you will be able to hear the changes from one model to another.

7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    So, what I gather from everyone is that the pod is no good for gigging b/c the amp model levels are screwy and it's unreliable in a live setting.
    Point taken. I think I was a little unclear in explaining how I'm planning to use it. I want to use it to by-pass my preamp and use the amp modeler as a DI. Send my bass & effects through it and pach it into the board.Iwould be using the same setting all the time most likely. It's no good for this?
    I was thinking about a sans-amp, but i figured the pod would be more versitile.Thanks for all the help everyone.

8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I probably still don't get it, but it sounds like you just need a straight DI. Where does the modeling come into the picture?

9. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    The tone of that carvin head is just a little dry to me. I thought I could beef it up by sending an Ampeg B15 or SWR tone through the mains. Plus, the mike and speaker simulations seem like they may
    be useful. I dunno, maybe It's all gimmick, I'll definitely try before I buy.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've been looking at the POD as a back-up only. I don't want to be at a gig and have my amp die and have no way to continue. I have a connection which can get me one around $150-$200. Should I keep looking (e.g., a DI) or would the POD be okay for my purpose?

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    If you want to "beef it up" then definately go with the SansAmp Bass DI. Its what you need. It is a top-notch DI plus "beef controls." The POD will only make everything more complicated for you without solving your problem.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree:D

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I did read over at TBL that someone had found a way to bypass the AIR and amp modeler.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Check what bassbrad said ... I was just futzin' with my POD (hhhheh heheheh hhhhhhhheheh) the other night, and it CAN be programmed to have the same level output for the various effects. I programmed mine to have some of the more classic sounds rather than the funky-chirpy-swoopy presets that come on it. It actually can be quite useful this way, so you can switch between vintage, classic and modern sounds quickly. If you ever want the original presets back, you just reset them.

BUT: Don't buy a POD until after you acquire your SABDDI.