1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nqabassist26, Oct 3, 2006.

1. I havent seen anybody talking about the POD EXT in the forums. There any reason? I was actually thinking about buying one all based on reviews, and it seems like it would be an invaluable tool.

Anyone own one or played with one and give there opinion on why or why I shouldn't buy it?

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Just got me a Bass PODxt earlier last week, and all I can say is :eek: :D :bassist:

It will require some tweeking, even if you know what sound(s) you want. I got it mainly to downsize from the mess of pedals that I had. I had some good stuff, but setting it up was a pain, for me at least. I find it easier to construct a rig w/ the POD.

One thing I'd recomend is setting up all the preset amps with a flat EQ, and no cab/A.I.R.(mic) emulation so that when your looking for a tone you can cycle through just the amps. Make's it a whole lot easier. Then you can go for through amp/effects combos to get a sound as close to what you want as posible, and add the cab/mic stuff later.

Anyway, that's my advice, hope it helps... :D

BTW, combining any amp w/ the Acoustic 360 (1x18") cabinet model yeilds quite the dubish-type setup. It's a really fat cab. Of all of them though the Line 6 4x10 original model cab is the most even, IMO.

3. Ah allright thank you for the constructive post.

It really helps, I think I'll order it right now infact =)

4. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I agree. The BassPodXt must be tweaked. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Has some great FX and great amp emulations. Don't listen to all these purist gear geeks who give negative comments on the Pod. The audience cannot tell (or most likely doesn't care) if it's a "real tube" amp or not. All they will notice is the superb sound that comes from this thing, and your playing of course. This thing is great. An optional FBV shortboard is available too. Powered thru the pod, so no power supply needed!!! Just make sure you have the patience to tweak. Don't be put off by the lame presets.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. I actually changed the SoCal Metal preset to be less bass/lo-middy and it sounds much better :D . Some of the others are hopeless.... :(

I'm actually getting the FBV Express, mostly cus I plan on setting it up like 16 amps w/ 4 channels each, so I just need to switch between "channels" and have an expression pedal. The main advantage is that unlike having a 4 channel amp, I can not only have a different amp and cab on each channel, but also switch in/out any number of effects. IMO this is what makes digital stuff rule, as you couldn't do that in the analog domain.

6. Thanks for all the help dudes, I ordered mine today and I can't wait!! =)

7. can you edit pesets through usb?

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, Line 6 has available a couple of different editing programs available on their website, provided you have the POD hooked up via USB and the drivers installed and such. Much easier than spinning dials and double pressing buttons and partaking in other sorts of menu-diving on the POD itself.

9. My question is which to get:
    1. Bass Podxt with shortboard
    2. Bass PodxtLive
    3. Korg AX3000b
    4. Boss GT6B

I used to have a guitar Podxt with a behringer fcb1010 midi floorboard, and had that fairly well setup.

I have heard good things about all, and bad things about all. I play through my rumble 100 (monitor) and the house. to me, what I am looking for is an easy way to select effects on and off, program it via computer and keep the cost down.

10. bump. im curious about this too. (chuck in the zoom b2.1u for me tho :D )

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The Line 6 and Korg units have associated editor/librarian software, but I can't find any reference as to whether Boss offers one for theirs.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Personally I'd go with the separate POD and Floorboard, as I have done. Then the POD can be at eye level when editing/creating patches, both of which I don't mind doing on the POD itself. The decision to make is how much control do you need. If you need to switch banks/want to be able to switch effects on/off then go with the Shortboard. For me though I've gone with the Express cus if the switching of channels is as quick on the pedals as with turning the select knob, I'll have a 4 channel amp at my feet + an expression pedal. But it won't be like any 4 channel amp, but like having up to 4 different amps each with it's own line of FX! I'm definatly looking forward to it coming in, and will post a review of sorts when it does!

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    You got rid of all your pedals after spending so long trying to get it right?

14. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I too got the Bass Podxt to simplify set up at shows. I find that having a quick set up and take down at shows more than makes up for some lack of authenticity. I've rack mounted my pod on a pull out shelf and then use the shortboard to control it in shows. I really dig this 'cause when I'm at home I can pull the pod out of the rack and take it to my computer to practice & record then slip it back in for shows on the weekend. I would recomend some sort of external eq to adjust for room differences if you are going to use it live as tweaking every preset when you get to a show would kind of stink.
    Be ready to tweak the podxt to get the sounds the way you like them but in a live setting with all the other variables going on, very few if anyone will be able to tell the difference between the real thing and a pod model. If you're using it at home or in the studio you will no doubt tell some differences, but I know a ton of sound engineers who love the line6 stuff too.
    Overall, I'd highly recomend it.
    Good luck,

15. Are the changes from the Bass Pod Pro to XT worth it?

I could get a Bass Pod Pro rack mount and a short board for cheaper than an XT and shortboard, or an XT Live.

Thoughts?

16. the XT version is overall better (the software inside hasbeen tweaked and upgraded to be better according to Line 6) but if you are going for new pro or live/bean (over the older POD non XT) i would go pro with pedal board as the pro has a ground lift and the live/XTbean HAS ground BUZZ. ok its controlable but annoying as hell. but if you are happy with the origional pod then stick with it

also the fullerton patch is great very little fiddling needeed for a solid tone (i dont know why this isnt the 1st patch on the damn thing instead of in bank 7 or 8).

i find headphones in the pod better with the PC edit software as my amp is upstairs and my PC is downstairs and the sound comes out the POD not PC.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yep. And I don't regret it at all :eek: Having 2 12x24" boards just started to suck. I really don't have that much floor space to begin with, and those board just took it all away!

Oh, and on the topic of ground noise, just use the USB for recording. I don't get any ground noise that way.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021