1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by trasser, Nov 21, 2006.

1. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Hi.

This is a newbie question, I know, but I would like to know pretty much everything about PODs.
    It is a preamp.
    Does it have build-in effects?
    It can simulate amplifiers - Is the sound anything close to how the original amp would sound? If so, why would I go out and by an amp, if I can get the sound of 100 amps through this little fella?
    If my amp has a DI output, can I plug in my bass and POD throug there instead of throug the PA?
    Other need-to-know information?
    Maybe someone has a link that pretty much explains to me exactly what a POD is...
    Thank you.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yes
    The sounds get close. For some, they get close enough where they just show up to gigs with a POD and their bass(es). But gigs don't always have a PA, so you may still need a rig. And if the gig doesn't have good monitors, or if you don't have in-ears, you still need a rig for stage volume.
    I think what you're asking here is if you can go Bass->POD->Amp, instead of going Bass->POD->PA. You can do this, but I don't really see the point, unless there's no PA or monitors as mentioned before. But the amps preamp will color the tone in addition to the POD, which you may not like, so you're better off using a Poweramp In if you have it, or an Effects Return, to bypass the amps preamp, and just amplify the signal from the POD.
    I think the Line6 site covers it pretty well

http://www.line6.com/basspodxt/

3. Not trying to be mean, but if you use the search you will find quite abit. There has been several threads lately about POD's

4. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Did a search, found some answers not all of them - but, I think I got it pretty much covered now. Thanks a million guys.
    PS, yes, Bass->POD->Amp, instead of going Bass->POD->PA, thats what i meant. ;)

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 on TrooperFarva, and on the search.

It's got some good tones, and is great if you've got the time to tweek. But, like TF said it's better through the PA/for recording, unless you don't use the cabnet emulations. Then it would probably work better as a pre.

6. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    If my amp doesn't have a DI output, can I still link the pod to it?

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Yes - the pod will go 'in front of' (ie: the signal) the amp - either in the input or the effect return. The DI on the amp is only needed to go out to the house/PA.

8. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm actually kinda mixed on the rig; it has some tasty tones IF you spend the time to REALLY work out your own patches - ditch the presets.

As far as modeling goes, I initially wouldn't touch the amp/cab models, but finally realized that all they are are more tones - nothing more, nothing less. I play pretty much bare bones bypass on most everything, maybe adding a little compressor but that's about it. I bastardized the "Live at Leeds" patch for an overdriven tone for a couple Grand Funk tunes but usually play pretty much using my (lovely) tube preamp...