Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PODxt Pro volume issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just got a new PODxt PRo. I have it connected to my Crown CE1000 amp bridged mono. I have two active basses (an Ibanez EDA900 and a Spector EDA2). I have a 4 ohm portabass cab, which gets plenty loud with not much power. I also have a GK 1001RB head.

The bass is in the "bass in" of the podxt, and the amp is fed using a 1/4" instrument cable using using the "model out" into the amp's input. The amp comes out of that and feeds the cab.

I went in, told it I had a bass in the front input, and crank both the "channel volume" and "output" cranked to the max. The signal light does light up, but doesn't stay on for more than a couple of seconds. It does this with both basses. I also tried hooking up the gk1001 in through the effects in, and it is just about as quiet. No where near as loud as it is when I plug it into the GK input. With all things pegged, it's like the GK on 1.

When I use a XLR cable from the model out to my amp, it's much louder, but it's too late to crank it up tonight. There should be enough power to fart out my cab, and hitting an E and pegging the volume still isn't loud enough to do it. It is louder though.

I have to be missing something like an input level adjustment. I have been reading the manual for 2 days, and went step by step tonight trying to fix it. It is like I am not giving it much imput. My amp input light doesn't glow bright green, so Im not giving it a huge amount of signal to work with. The input switch on the front of the pod is set to normal.

Any ideas? I can try some stuff and you can recommend it.
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I heard that the PODs have low 1/4 output. I've heard it said many times that they can't drive a QSC to full power because of how low it is. Could this have anything to do with your problem or did you know that already?

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't know that. I just tried the XLR because it was there, and my amp would take them as inputs too. It is louder, but not crazy loud. No where near as loud as 25% of what the GK will do. If I don't figure it out, it's gotta go back to the store...This will be day 3 or trial and error. I would think that anyone who has one of these would probably see the same thing, unless they aren't doing anything but recording with it.
    Wes

4. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I used to have a POD pro and used to to drive my QSC to distraction.

Have you tried different cables to connect the POD and the power amp? Sorry, but that's the first thing to suspect.

I would check the compression setting of the patch. I found that I had to crank the compression (which didn't sound too bad) in order to get enough volume to leave the output knob lower. FWIW.

You might try running the 1/4 out to a mixer with a meter on it if you have one. I would think you would be able to bury the meter of a mixer assuming the channel you run it into is set at unity gain and trim.

You say the input light only comes on for a couple seconds...
    IIRC, mine used to stay on for as long as there was any signal.

You might also try listening with headphones to see if maybe there is some problem with the output.

Good luck.

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I tried a different 1/4 before I went to the XLR. Same results on the 1/4", and the XLR was louder. The weird thing was when I went to the XLR, the output know didn't make any difference in overall volume anymore. It was louder, but not much louder.

I get about the same amount of volume from patch to patch. Even the clean tube amp isn't loud. its quieter than the rest.

Maybe my signal is now, but it's basically the same with both basses, and I thought the eda900 was always a hot bass on my other rig.

I do have a mixer with a meter, so I will try that.

THanks,
    Wes

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I found this so far:

"The POD and Bass POD have 1/4" TRS output connectors. They can be used to provide balanced, +4dBu output level or -10dBu unbalanced output level. To get +4 balanced signal, you must use TRS connectors (tip, ring, sleeve)for the POD outputs. Usually, mixers with balanced inputs require XLR connectors so you would need to get cables that have TRS 1/4" jacks on one end and XLR on the other ends.
    If you use standard 1/4" mono cables (guitar cable)for the POD outputs, the unit will supply
    -10, unbalanced output level. Between these two options, you should be able to acheive a good match to whatever recording gear you are using."

I am using a guitar cable right now, not a balanced. I have one though, and will try it. That would explain the volume differences between 1/4" and XLR, but not total volume. It is a step in the right direction though.

Wes

7. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    From manual (all the numbers are from the users manual picture on page 2.):
    "Unbalanced Analog Out (No 33 on the picture)- The display pages of the I/O & DIG SELECT button(no 26 on the picture) configure these outputs for Studio or Live Use, and also allow
    you to enable Bi-Amp Mode.
    • In Studio Mode, these jacks are ready to plug into a recorder with –10 dBVunbalanced inputs.
    • In Live Mode, they don’t have speaker simulation, and are ready for connection to an onstage power amp.
    •When Bi-Amp Mode is enabled, the low frequency portion of your signal is sent out the D.I. jack, while the high frequency portion goes out the Model jack, so each jack can be connected to a separate power amp and speaker cabinet(s) to separately amplify your lows versus your highs.
    Whichever options you choose, the front panel Output knob (No. 4 on the picture) determines how much signal you’ll get at these jacks.

Balanced Analog Out (No. 34 on the picture)- The I/O & DIG SELECT button (No. 26 on the picture)display “pages” configure these outputs for Studio or Live Use. In Studio Mode, they’re ready to plug into a recorder with balanced +4 dBu inputs. In Live Mode, they’re ready to send great sounding –10dBV signals to the house sound system or P.A. The front panel Output knob (No. 4 on the picture) does not affect the volume at these jacks in Live Mode. This lets you make onstage adjustments to your volume without affecting the P.A.’s levels."

So I think you need to find a way to switch from Studio (-10dBV) to Live (+4dBu) use - my guess is to push the No26 button from the picture in the manual. Another quote from the manual:

I/O & Dig Select (No. 26 on the picture) - Press this to tell your Bass PODxt Pro what it’s connected to so it gives the best sound, and to choose digital audio and other options.
    • Press it once to select where you’re going to connect your input source to the Bass PODxt Pro, and exactly what you want to come out of the digital outputs.
    • Press it a second time to tell Bass PODxt Pro whether you’re using it in the studio or live, how you have connected your effects loop and what kind of digital gear you have connected to Bass PODxt Pro.
    • Press it a third time to access the options for Bass PODxt Pro’s Bi-Amp mode.
    •A fourth press will dismiss the pages and take you back to whatever was in the display before you pressed the button.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the cut and paste content. It is nice to have it all together. I have read those pages a few times, and I guess it took one more time to get it to sink in. That explains why the balanced jacks do not effect volume with the output knob. It is supposed to go to the soundman in a volume unaltered fashion, yet let you adjust the output for stage volume.
    There is a small possibility that I still have the #26 set to studio, so it would be putting out -10 dB to the analog outs. I have changed a bunch of things trying to get this to get louder, so I have to go have and check to see. Still, even while feeding the amp the XLR output with the channel volume cranked, it's not crazy loud.
    I wonder why my input LED doesn't shine very much though. I don't see how both of my basses have a low output. They are both active, and I have always considered the EDA to be hot. When I use it through the mixer DI, it needs to be padded down to keep from clipping the inputs of my mixer. The LED should be lit most of the time I am playing.
    Thanks!
    Wes

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, that wasn't it. I was on live, and I switched to a balanced cable. Same results. I think it is going back.
    Wes

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It looks like it really comes down to a faulty input stage on the POD. 4 basses later, and I can't get the signal light to do any more than blink on the pluck of the string, then it goes off after a second. I think I got the only one at GC, so I might just return it and find something else to play with.
    Wes