1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

podxt sansamp vs real sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by these_go211, Apr 11, 2006.

1. i'm curious if anyone here has compared the bass pod xt overdrive setting, which is based on the sansamp, with the sound of the real sansamp. this is more out of curiosity as i've heard so many people rave about the sansamp. i've thought about buying one but wonder if it is overkill since i am already capable of doing an emulation of it. thanks!

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    On the tech21 website, http://www.tech21nyc.com/ there are samples that I think really represent that BDDI well, so listen and see if you are able to get that sound.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You mean to tell me that Pod has an emulation of an emulation???

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Yeah, the new Zoom B2, has an Sansamp model too. The Sansamp is that popular. Whooda Thunkit.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Don't get me wrong. I have programmable and regular Bass Driver. However...for Line 6 to model an emulation unit??? why didn't they just call it the Ampeg model??? I mean that is what the Bass Driver is isn't it? An emulation of the ol' SVT and 810???

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I always thought that was funny... an emulation of an emulation. :)

7. the PODs not got a Sansamp setting

8. on the line 6 page where they talk about effects, where it says "And many more Line 6 originals: bass overdrive..." i will swear my manual says that is modelled on the sansamp. i remember that because i had already had the pod for over a year before i realized that. when i have the amp model set to svt, the cabinets to the ampegs, and the bass overdrive selected it's a cool sound. but as i said in my post i was curious if this is close to a sansamp sound. ??

i listened to the clips on the tech21 site but the only one with the sansamp was also being played thru one of their real amps. so it was hard to get a good feel for it. thanks for the responses guys!

9. OK...I admit, I'm not one of these guys who reads the manual till he needs to, finding out he's wrecked the thing...:oops:

10. ok guys, I STAND CORRECTED. i looked at my manual last nite when i got home and it says something like the bass overdrive effect is "inspired" by the sansamp, with line 6 adding their own ideas as well. so i guess it's not really supposed to be a modelled version of the sansamp. my bad! actually, i can twist this to be good news for me. now i have a really good excuse for buying the sansamp :)

11. TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Nov 27, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a really old thread, but it gave me a chuckle. If the Line 6 Pod XT is an emulation of an emulator... and the Behringer V-Amp is a copy of the Line 6... does that make the V-Amp an emulation of an emulation of an emulator? I guess the V-Tone BDI21 skips the middle-man and goes back to being an emulation of an emulator.

12. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    In a full mix, the ZOOM B2 Sansamp model can sound indistinquishable from the BDDI - as can the Behringer BDI. Even if you can hear a difference, I'd challenge you to say the emulation of the emulation is bad....it's not. There are a few threads on this forum with clips and discussion. I'd bet the same tones can be coaxed from a POD quite easily (haven't tried a POD yet personally)

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I usually prefer the B2's Ampeg model over it's Sansamp model.