Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poetry & music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just did a project with a friend putting music to poetry. It was a huge departure from what I usually play, and it was a great mind openening and inspiring experience. Did it with the guitarist (Randy) from my band and we all collaborated quite nicely - not always the case. I recorded all the pieces in my home studio, and once I learn how to burn CDs w/my new equipment I'm going to post some mp3s of the poetry & music here. We got offered a regular spot in the venue we performed it in. Ain't gonna do it, but it felt nice to get the offer.

I haven't checked the poet's website out myself yet (didn't know till yesterday that she had one), but it's www.ryngargulinski.com for anyone interested. I'm gonna go visit now.....

Oh yeah, the point behind this whole thing. If anyone is feeling stuck or uninspired, go check out a poetry reading - and bring a pen and pad.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    off to Misc

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think poetry and music is a great idea. That's why I love the Doors so much. Jim put poetry to the music. I mean take "Roadhouse Blues" that's a stomping rock athem, but Jim has all those poetic lyrics in there. What a great contrast.

I also love the poem in the middle of Type O Negative's "Haunted".

4. I love poetry and I love music and I totally love poetry to music!
    LiquidMidnight, I totally agree about Jim's songs, all of them are poetry. I especially like 'The End' and 'Not To Touch The Earth'. I have two of Jim's written poetry books, and anyone who says that that man was not a poet is insane.
    At the moment I am going to put a little duet together with a friend of mine. She has written some amazing poetry, and we want to put it to music. I will be on rhythm guitar duty.
    Some other artists who have successfully put poetry to music who I really like are Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Kurt Cobain, and Lou Reed.
    Jim