1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POG 18V adapter info needed...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    I just picked up a POG cheap yesterday (really used) with no 18V adapter. According to the EHX website they state only use the supplied 18V 500ma adapter included. Don't use other adapters not even other EHX ones. Well, would you use the EHX 18V 1000ma one that is available separately?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No, I'd use a Diago 18V voltage doubler to take one of the 9V outlets of my power supply and make it 18V.

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Yes, but when checking into power adapters, the other important thing you have to look at is the polarity. The polarity is whether the tip or the sleeve is positive or negative. On the adapter for the POG the tip(center) is positive, and the outside(sleeve) is negative

as long as the other adapter you want to get is center positive as well, I say go for it

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And if I was Toasted I'd inquire whether one outlet of the Diago can provide a minimum of 500mA even after the voltage has been doubled by whatever circuit.

5. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    it can supply a total of 3A so i guess it would

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nice catch, Bongo. You're correct - It doesn't work with the POG.

http://www.diago.co.uk/powerstation_compatibility.html

It clearly says there.

Plus, the 18V converter plug that Diago sells has the following spec:

The amount of power provided is a joke for most 18VDC pedals outside of analog OD/distortion/fuzz, and is well below POG specs. Not to mention, you'd still need another converter plug to get a 2.5mm center-positive barrel to plug into the POG.

Now, here are the specs on a similar product - the Godlyke Power Pump:

So, this actually looks like it might work. The current rating is based on 1700mA. The Diago is 3000mA, IIRC. But again, a converter plug for the barrel is needed to get it to fit.

But before anyone even tries this, there's yet another potential issue to point out... and if anyone recalls my thread on the EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer "Power Pump" experiment, you'll remember what it is:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337894&highlight=godlyke+power+pump

See Post #17.

And for laughs, the thread about my mod attempt as a whole:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340125&highlight=godlyke+power+pump

:smug:

7. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    You know, i think it does :D

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

In the case of the POG, you would be best off with an isolated-output power supply. The only issue would be whether or not any of the ones currently on the market could provide sufficient current; I think we had a discussion about it before regarding the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2, specificially.

Technically, the wall wart counts as an isolated output... and it looks like you're stuck with the EHX-equivalent wall wart option until someone is willing to gamble with their POG. :ninja:

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, there are three things "wrong" with the PPII: size, price, and low available amperage. The size and price are worth it to me for what it does, but the amperage thing bugs me often.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That must be a typo because I've scoped mine and it provides 1.3A.

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Really?

Hmm.

There's gotta be a good reason for listing it as a "No" in the compatibility list, though. If it's not current, then it's likely a circuit design thing... in which case, nothing out there is going to work outside of a wall wart or custom-made power supply.

So, either way... we're back to square one with the POG. :meh:

Maybe someone could e-mail Diago and ask if they tried the 18V connector with the proper barrel plug on the POG. I'm sure it works alone, if you're right about the current... but in a daisy chain, the POG may cease to work entirely (not to mention, everything else).

12. ChocolateTV

ChocolateTV

Sep 23, 2006
  13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    He's from California. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper to just get an equivalent U.S. adapter here, but with the right barrel plug. The one you show is 2.1mm. :p

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021