1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POG - What Would/Do You Use it For?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I'm considering buying the POG (Polyphonic Octave Generator) by Electro-Harmonics. Pretty cool effect, but I'm trying to think what I would use it for... to pay $300+ for an effect and not use it would be a damn shame. I know I could use it to simulate organ sounds, which interests me cause i LOVE rock organ. but I dont know if i would use it often...

so my question is, for those of you that ave one already, what do you use it for? what kind of music do you play when you use it?

ha i just thought of a good use: to play YYZ by Rush and substitute the organ for bass with this effect... that would be cool!

2. I'm also thinking about getting this guy. It can be used as an octaver and that's what i would probably use it for.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i use mine all the time! i love it.

generally, i use it to thicken up my sound for the rock trio. make it huge.

though now that i have a blender/looper (BargeConcepts VFB2), i'm finding way more uses for it on the octave up/organ tip. still experimenting, though.

bottom line: i've had it about a year now, and i use it all the time. rock&roll!

4. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I am in a rock trio too, and I think this would be perfect for adding some organ-like sounds. Don't have one yet, but it is on the list.

5. Like Jetpack was mentioning, this this can be used for non organ type effects as well- just to round out/ thicken up ones sound. It is quite versatile in that manner. Or even as soms sort of quasi low pass filter.

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    one thing's for sure: it's always on my board. i really dig it!

7. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah, i think whenever i get a spare $300 i'll pick one up

but then again, this would make a great birthday present... note: tell mom to get me that, lol

maybe ill have enough christmas money to buy one...

but i was thinking, this would probably be a great effect to double up with the whammy... that could have potential...

8. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I've been looking at the HOG. To me it looks like a much better tool for live work. It has an optional pedal that stores up to six presets, so you're not limited to just one thing, or bending down on a dark stage to move all the little sliders to change sounds. I have no clue how it works with bass. None of the EH dealers around here keeps any in stock, and I don't want to get them to order it because I don't know if I actually want the thing. $450 plus $150 for the memory pedal is getting kind of steep for a pedal I don't know if I actually want.

9. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Search on here for the hog. I think a few have tried it and generally agree that it isn't as amazing on the bass as the pog is. Worse tracking on low notes, and I think a few other issues.

10. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Tried the HOG and the POG. HOG was much harder to work and didn't sound as good. POG was easier to get a workable sound.

11. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well, guess I saved myself some GAS. Too bad the POG doesn't have the memory pedal. An effect like that I really like to be able to change sounds on it easily. That's one of the reasons I don't like the microsynth.

12. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    just get yourself 5 POGs. problem solved.

:D

13. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What other pedal harmonizers are out there?

I've really gotten into Robert Fripp (guitarist, I know) who has something like 3 eventide harmonizers running in series. The closest I even want to try is Whammy through a HOG, but still...

The HOG has many many more functions than the POG, aside from the memory pedal and more sliders -- it can gliss and hold notes and about ten other functions with an attached expression pedal. I think it's worth the extra 150-300 even if the tracking isn't as good.

14. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    there's the boss PS5 super shifter. it's pretty cool, actually, though not as "on-the-fly-tweakable" as the whammy.

15. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    lol, that is a phenomenal solution!

...that wouldn't cost too much...